Fairfax, VA - same day N400 Interview and Oath Ceremony

NewRunner

Registered Users (C)
After a number of false starts, we received an N400 priority date of Dec 16, 2008. My wife and I filed together. We were originally an EB3 petition for LPR which we received just before 9/11 in 2001.

I was initially discouraged by the official processing times for the N400 in the Washington DC District Office, which showed a time of approximately one year. But I also read on this forum about folks who filed and were sworn in as new citizens within 90 days of their priority date.

Now I can report happily that we too are among that group. We received our fingerprinting appointment within two weeks of the priority date, and completed the fingerprints two weeks after that. By Feb 5th, we had received interview letters for an appointment in mid-March.

Today we reported at the Fairfax, VA office for our 8:00am appointment. The only delay was security checkpoint processing which can be exactly as frustrating as the airport, watching inexperienced folks ahead of you struggle with emptying their pockets.

We went upstairs to the 2nd floor to a well-lit, large waiting room. We checked in with the receptionist and sat down. Within two minutes, I was called to an interview.

My CIS officer was a very courteous, friendly, and professional young woman who walked me to her office. Before I sat down, she swore me to an oath to tell the truth. Then we sat down. She asked me for my green card, passport, and driver's licence - that's it. There is so much information on this forum about all the forms and evidence you have to bring, I did not bring anything other than what the interview appointment letter asked us to bring. I brought as "back up" our marriage certificate and the birth certificates of our children, but they were not needed.

After she reviewed those three documents (GC, PP, and DL), we basically just went through the N400 application, question by question. No big issues on my N400 and everything was checked off. Then she asked me a few of the civics questions. Since my wife and I had prepared for all 100 questions, the answers seemed relatively easy to remember. Then she asked me to write a sentence, "California has the most people", and asked me to read a question, "Which state has the most people?", and when I finished, she said, "Well, and now you know!", and we both laughed.

She told me that I had passed the interview and asked me to review the typed information that would go on my naturalization certificate. Then she pulled out one of my submitted passport photos and asked me to sign it.

I asked her then if she thought I could take the oath the same day. She said yes, there was an oath ceremony at 11:00am. That was so cool! She gave me the oath appointment "letter", which is basically a form telling you to report to the same building at 10:00am for a 11:00 oath ceremony.

Then on my physical A-file that was in front of her, she stamped a great big "APPROVED" stamp on one of the sheets and she included it in the file. It was so amazing to see that. She shook my hand. I was choking up and could barely thank her properly.

I walked back into the waiting room and my wife came out a few minutes later, also approved, and also with a 11:00a oath ceremony. We were pretty thrilled about that.

We reported to the office at 8:00am, and were done with the interview by 8:45am. As such, we had an hour and some to kill before the 10:00am assembly time for the oath ceremony. We went out for a walk and for a bite to eat, and came back at 10:00am.

The oath ceremony process occurs in two steps. The first step is reviewing your naturalization certificate and ensuring that it is accurate and the second step is the actual oath pledging part. When you come back for the oath ceremony, they direct you to a waiting area, which is a big room that has numbered customer service counters just like at a DMV. You wait there until a CIS officer announces to all the people waiting that there are some specific preparations to complete. The oath takers are organized into two lines which form by the last three digits of your A#. Once the line starts moving, you come up to a counter with a CIS Officer and hand in your green card and the oath ceremony appointment "letter"/form, with your responses to eight questions about the time period between your interview and your oath. They show you your naturalization certificate and ask you to review it. They also have you practice your signature on a paper copy of the certificate. You then get a seat number assignment and a big white envelope containing a guide to citizenship and a small book containing the U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence. Then you wait to the side to be taken upstairs to the oath ceremony room.

The oath ceremony room is a long room with numbered chairs, and with a screen on one side that has a "Faces of America" documentary playing that loops every 3 minutes or so. It has nice music and nice imagery, but after seeing it 7 times, it gets a little old... ;) But the CIS staff were all exceptionally polite and good humored. They seemed genuinely enthusiastic about welcoming all of us gathered in that room as new American citizens.

After about 20 minutes, an Officer came in to prep us for what would happen in the oath ceremony. It was pretty straightforward. Then the Director of the office came in and led us through the oath ceremony and the pledge of allegiance. I write this quickly now, but it was a super special moment and I was mostly choked up the entire time...as was my wife, and just about everyone else in the room.

Then, almost like a graduation ceremony, they called our names and we walked up to receive our naturalization certificates. The Director was really friendly and considerate, and you could tell that she had done this many times. I still couldn't believe how genuine she seemed about congratulating each person, posing for photos with us, and welcoming us all to citizenship. My wife took a picture of me and the Director with my certificate, and I did the same for her. It was truly cool. Then we left.

So from arriving at 7:50am to do the interview, we left as American citizens at 11:30am. It was beautiful and far better and far smoother than my expectations, and I was very impressed with the professionalism and quality of every US CIS person we interacted with in the Fairfax office through the whole process.

We are finally Americans and it feels wonderful! :)

Good Luck to everyone else out there!

And thank you once again Mr. Rajiv Khanna for this excellent forum - it has been my source of comfort through the long years of LPR and now naturalization.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your experience. I had my interview on Feb 24 in Fairfax office and am still waiting for my oath letter. I'm glad I found this forum, at least I can see that some people had the ceremony the same they had an interview and others ( like me) have to wait for the oath letter few weeks.
After a number of false starts, we received an N400 priority date of Dec 16, 2008. My wife and I filed together. We were originally an EB2 petition for LPR which we received just before 9/11 in 2001.

I was initially discouraged by the official processing times for the N400 in the Washington DC District Office, which showed a time of approximately one year. But I also read on this forum about folks who filed and were sworn in as new citizens within 90 days of their priority date.

Now I can report happily that we too are among that group. We received our fingerprinting appointment within two weeks of the priority date, and completed the fingerprints two weeks after that. By Feb 5th, we had received interview letters for an appointment in mid-March.

Today we reported at the Fairfax, VA office for our 8:00am appointment. The only delay was security checkpoint processing which can be exactly as frustrating as the airport, watching inexperienced folks ahead of you struggle with emptying their pockets.

We went upstairs to the 2nd floor to a well-lit, large waiting room. We checked in with the receptionist and sat down. Within two minutes, I was called to an interview.

My CIS officer was a very courteous, friendly, and professional young woman who walked me to her office. Before I sat down, she swore me to an oath to tell the truth. Then we sat down. She asked me for my green card, passport, and driver's licence - that's it. There is so much information on this forum about all the forms and evidence you have to bring, I did not bring anything other than what the interview appointment letter asked us to bring. I brought as "back up" our marriage certificate and the birth certificates of our children, but they were not needed.

After she reviewed those three documents (GC, PP, and DL), we basically just went through the N400 application, question by question. No big issues on my N400 and everything was checked off. Then she asked me a few of the civics questions. Since my wife and I had prepared for all 100 questions, the answers seemed relatively easy to remember. Then she asked me to write a sentence, "California has the most people", and asked me to read a question, "Which state has the most people?", and when I finished, she said, "Well, and now you know!", and we both laughed.

She told me that I had passed the interview and asked me to review the typed information that would go on my naturalization certificate. Then she pulled out one of my submitted passport photos and asked me to sign it.

I asked her then if she thought I could take the oath the same day. She said yes, there was an oath ceremony at 11:00am. That was so cool! She gave me the oath appointment "letter", which is basically a form telling you to report to the same building at 10:00am for a 11:00 oath ceremony.

Then on my physical A-file that was in front of her, she stamped a great big "APPROVED" stamp on one of the sheets and she included it in the file. It was so amazing to see that. She shook my hand. I was choking up and could barely thank her properly.

I walked back into the waiting room and my wife came out a few minutes later, also approved, and also with a 11:00a oath ceremony. We were pretty thrilled about that.

We reported to the office at 8:00am, and were done with the interview by 8:45am. As such, we had an hour and some to kill before the 10:00am assembly time for the oath ceremony. We went out for a walk and for a bite to eat, and came back at 10:00am.

The oath ceremony process occurs in two steps. The first step is reviewing your naturalization certificate and ensuring that it is accurate and the second step is the actual oath pledging part. When you come back for the oath ceremony, they direct you to a waiting area, which is a big room that has numbered customer service counters just like at a DMV. You wait there until a CIS officer announces to all the people waiting that there are some specific preparations to complete. The oath takers are organized into two lines which form by the last three digits of your A#. Once the line starts moving, you come up to a counter with a CIS Officer and hand in your green card and the oath ceremony appointment "letter"/form, with your responses to eight questions about the time period between your interview and your oath. They show you your naturalization certificate and ask you to review it. They also have you practice your signature on a paper copy of the certificate. You then get a seat number assignment and a big white envelope containing a guide to citizenship and a small book containing the U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence. Then you wait to the side to be taken upstairs to the oath ceremony room.

The oath ceremony room is a long room with numbered chairs, and with a screen on one side that has a "Faces of America" documentary playing that loops every 3 minutes or so. It has nice music and nice imagery, but after seeing it 7 times, it gets a little old... ;) But the CIS staff were all exceptionally polite and good humored. They seemed genuinely enthusiastic about welcoming all of us gathered in that room as new American citizens.

After about 20 minutes, an Officer came in to prep us for what would happen in the oath ceremony. It was pretty straightforward. Then the Director of the office came in and led us through the oath ceremony and the pledge of allegiance. I write this quickly now, but it was a super special moment and I was mostly choked up the entire time...as was my wife, and just about everyone else in the room.

Then, almost like a graduation ceremony, they called our names and we walked up to receive our naturalization certificates. The Director was really friendly and considerate, and you could tell that she had done this many times. I still couldn't believe how genuine she seemed about congratulating each person, posing for photos with us, and welcoming us all to citizenship. My wife took a picture of me and the Director with my certificate, and I did the same for her. It was truly cool. Then we left.

So from arriving at 7:50am to do the interview, we left as American citizens at 11:30am. It was beautiful and far better and far smoother than my expectations, and I was very impressed with the professionalism and quality of every US CIS person we interacted with in the Fairfax office through the whole process.

We are finally Americans and it feels wonderful! :)

Good Luck to everyone else out there!

And thank you once again Mr. Rajiv Khanna for this excellent forum - it has been my source of comfort through the long years of LPR and now naturalization.

Hi Abbi1970 - yes, I too was concerned about being able to take the oath the same day because I was seeing very conflicting information on the forum about people's experiences. My understanding was that throughout February, the oath ceremony room was under renovation or construction, and as such, they had suspended doing the ceremonies on the same day. It was just good fortune for us that they resumed doing those oath ceremonies sometime in March. Now, if you don't have a name change issue, you will get a chance to do the oath ceremony the same day at Fairfax. They appear to have 3 to 4 ceremonies per day.

Thanks for your note.

Congratulations NewRunner !!!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope all of us here waiting for our interviews have just a good experience as you have...

Good Luck Barry4me!

I see Seymour, CT as your location. I hope you don't have to go to the New York District Office. From everything I have read on this forum, the New York DO seems to require a lot of documentation and other evidence.

My experience reading the previous Fairfax posts indicated that the Washington DC DO officers did not require physical evidence of the same type of documentation that New York DO officers typically did.

On the face of it, there appears to be a presumption that applicants have or will misrepresent themselves in New York, and just the opposite presumption in Washington.

Let us know how things work out for you...and all the best!

I got a letter today about my oath ceremony on April 12 at Lincoln Memorial in DC. My interview was on Feb 24, 2009, so it took few weeks to get that letter and almost 2 months to be sworn. Well, at least I'll be finally finished with immigration.

Congratulations abbi1970!! That is excellent news and I can't think of a more fitting and memorable place to have the oath ceremony than at the Lincoln Memorial! The Gettysburg Address is inscribed on the walls inside and it is a truly inspiring speech by one of the great American presidents. Congrats again!

Yes, Yes I'm a US citizen since yesterday! The special ceremony in front of Lincoln Memorial was beautiful, Colin Powell was the major speaker, the opera singer Denice Graves was amazing! I wish every immigrant good luck in this great country!
Congratulations abbi1970!! That is excellent news and I can't think of a more fitting and memorable place to have the oath ceremony than at the Lincoln Memorial! The Gettysburg Address is inscribed on the walls inside and it is a truly inspiring speech by one of the great American presidents. Congrats again!

Yes, Yes I'm a US citizen since yesterday! The special ceremony in front of Lincoln Memorial was beautiful, Colin Powell was the major speaker, the opera singer Denice Graves was amazing! I wish every immigrant good luck in this great country!

Wow: was there a lot of media there? USCIS even had a special press release about this ceremony on their web site.

Congrats again abbi1970![/QUOTE]
Thank you, NewRunner for that insert from Washington Post, wow I'm still trying to process and get used to being a US citizen. My husband invited my sister and my mother-in-law for this ceremony from New York and Connecticut, and I got flowers, cards with congratulations and small gifts from neighbors, relatives and friends!

Wow: was there a lot of media there? USCIS even had a special press release about this ceremony on their web site.

Yes, there was media, but they were behind us and I couldn't see the media crew closer. We were sitting very tight, almost like sardines in a can, they tried to squeeze us on one side ( 200 of us), and on the other side there were seats for other guests + family guests behind us and hundreds of tourists and locals.

Interview and Oath Done!

Went very smooth. Interview time was 10.20 but i arrived only by about 10.40. Got called by around 11AM. Interview took about 10 mins. No documents except the usual were asked. Test was simple. Oath was at 2PM. Out of the building by 2.30PM. went and applied passport at the nearby postoffice. Nothing to complain except for the lunch at the nearby deli. Absolutely horrible.

Congrats nands69! Your timeline is almost exactly the same as mine, approximately 90 days, give or take a day or two.

Thanks sam99 for your good wishes - Good Luck to you as well! Hopefully the Miami DO starts accelerating too...someone else on this forum just said that Miami DO was taking about a year. Based on your timeline, I don't think that is the case for straightforward petitions.

I have my interview scheduled at 5/27 at 2 PM. Will there be a possibility that I might have the Oath on the same day?
Any thoughts?

I have my interview scheduled at 5/27 at 2 PM. Will there be a possibility that I might have the Oath on the same day?
Any thoughts?

I believe that the last scheduled oath ceremony for the day is either at 2:00pm or 3:00pm, so you may not be able to get a same-day ceremony, but I am not 100% sure.

They usually need one hour of preparation and assembly time and then the oath ceremony itself. When we went, there appeared to be three oath ceremony times: 9:00am, 11:00am, and one in the afternoon. We had the 11:00am time and they asked us to arrive for that at 10:00am. Our interview was at 8:00am and we were done with that by 8:45am.

I am assuming that if a typical government office works an 8-hour day, then at Fairfax, they start at 8:00am and probably close at 4:00pm. If that is the case, then they probably only have enough time to do one afternoon ceremony either at 2:00pm or at 3:00pm.

I could be mistaken about the afternoon schedule. I will do some additional research to see if I can get you a better answer.

My Interview is also scheduled on 5/27 at 10 AM.

03/02/09 : N-400 Mailed (TX)
03/04/09 : N-400 received as per USPS
03/04/09 : Priority Date.
03/16/09 : Check Cashed.
03/16/09 : Notice Date.
03/20/09 : NOA Received ( I-797C)
03/23/09 : FP Notice Received
04/01/09 : FP Done
04/25/09 : Interview Letter
05/27/09: Interview Date
??/??/09 : Oath Letter
??/??/09 : Oath Date