F1 to Residency. Please help!

Jchang07

Hi, I am currently a F1 visa holder and my mom (green card holder) applied for me on june 2000. about a year ago I recieved a notice that my petition was pending (I-130). Last month I recieved a notice of my I-130 that it has been approved but that a visa number was not available at this time. A friend of mine told me that it could take 6-7 years to get a visa number so I could change my status to permanent resident. My question is:

1- since I am a F-1 visa holder and my i-20 expires on december 2002. Do I have to renew my I-20. Or the notice of Approval is good enough that I don't need to renew it.

2- Am I considered a resident since I lived in california for 7 years.?

3- I heard there are new laws to help students that are in the process to get residency to pay resident fees in Colleges instead of non-resident or international student fees. (the differerence between resident and non-resident fee is about 400% )

4- When I applied in june 2000, I was under 21 years old. but when I recieved my approval notice, it said that I am in the category of 21 and over. Why? since I applied before 21.

thanks to whoever replies my question.

1- since I am a F-1 visa holder and my i-20 expires on december 2002. Do I have to renew my I-20. Or the notice of Approval is good enough that I don't need to renew it.
To maintain F1 status you will need an extension on I-20 or new I-20 if the degree program or school is different.
2- Am I considered a resident since I lived in california for 7 years.?
Having lived for 7 years in US does not count for residency but you may need to show you were not out of status if INS asks.
3- I heard there are new laws to help students that are in the process to get residency to pay resident fees in Colleges instead of non-resident or international student fees.
Possible for H4 who have lived in some state for at least a year. Check with your school how they interpret residency.
4- When I applied in june 2000, I was under 21 years old. but when I recieved my approval notice, it said that I am in the category of 21 and over. Why?
Check your I-130 approval date on the notice and your birthdate.