F1 - H1 - F1

Arjun Reddy

Registered Users (C)
Hi, I had come to the us on an F1 and then I dropped out of school after 3 years of study and transferred to H1. I want to go back to school now. Can anyone let me know the procedures/requirements to go back to school. Your help will be greatly appreciated in this regard.

Thanks.

Might be easier to go with same school you attended earlier

In a simple case an H1 reapplied to his school of graduation and got a new I-20 you will need to show affidavit of support and other paperwork to the school. With same school they already have your student records so it is faster and simpler process when compared to applying to another university.

No Title

Hi Whizkid, thanks so much for you reply. I have a few questions. 1).Will I get my F1 if get an I-20 from a school? I mean is it a risky affair?
2).What did you mean by "other paperwork"? Also, can you let me know what all paperwork will I have to take to the US Consulate for my F1 visa?
3).Can I go to Mexico to get my F1 if I get an admit?
4).Could you give me more specifics and details regarding my situation.
Your help in this regard will be of GREAT HELP to me. I really appreciate your help.
Thanks again.
Have a nice day.
Arjun.

I-20 make you a student status

A valid I-20 with enrollment in a school does not make you out of status, it is not a visa. It is not a risky affair but nowadays all I-20s will get a good review because of Atta case.

Other paperwork can include reference letters from emoployers or previous professors. Statement of purpose or a small essay for enrolling in school or selecting a major. All sorts of application forms. Advising forms to select courses and so on.

US consulates need all current and prior I-20s, valid passport, copies of transcripts, letter from school stating you are enrolled and not out of status. Future courses that you may enroll and above all some sort of financial affidavit covering all expenses till you graduate.

You can go to Mexico or Canada but with the way INS is under spotlight it might be recomended to go to home country to get multiple entry F1 visa stamp in passport.

Regarding specifics of your case you may have to indicate what you mean by "dropped out" after 3 years of school? Did you complete course work and graduate? Did you get any CPT/OPT? What you did as H1? Have you filed tax returns for all years including as student before H1. Why you want to go back to school again?

more info

CHANGE OF STATUS FROM H-1 TO F-1

A change of non-immigrant status from H-1 to F-1 may be requested when the applicant makes the decision to discontinue temporary employment and to resume full-time student status.

The documents which need to be submitted to INS to apply for a change to F-1 status are:

Form I-539, application for change of non-immigrant status.
  Form I-20AB with item 11 completed by the student.
  Copy of front and back of Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure card in passport). If dependents are in the U.S. as H-4\'s, please attach copies of front and back of their I-94 cards. Dependents in H-4 status do not need to file a separate application to change to F-2, but an addendum to the form I-539 must list the dependents.
  A copy of the I-797 (or I-171c), Approval Notice of the H-1 Petition.
  Evidence of financial support. It is necessary to show that the applicant has sufficient funds to support his/her studies for at least the first year, plus the living expenses of his F-2 dependents, and an indication that the funds will be available for subsequent years.
  Letter from the employer indicating the reason and date of departure from employment. Please note that the INS allows only 10 days from leaving employment to either file an application to INS or to leave the U.S. If the 10 day period has already lapsed, a change to F-1 status can only be accomplished by leaving the U.S., applying for an F-1 visa at a U.S. Consulate and returning as an F-1 student.
  Check or money order for $120.00, payable to INS.
  Passport identity pages of student and dependents, showing expiration date.
  Copies of visa of student and dependents.

Processing will take a minimum of two months and students will be notified when their documents have been returned.

PLEASE NOTE THAT ON-CAMPUS EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY BEGINS UPON RECEIPT OF THE APPROVED CHANGE OF STATUS. IF YOU LEAVE THE U.S. AND INTEND TO REENTER IN F-1 STATUS, YOU MUST REQUEST AN F-1 VISA AT A U.S. CONSULATE OR EMBASSY BEFORE YOU RETURN.