F-1/OPT and new rule: Please suggest

mayankmani

I was approved for my OPT on February 2008 for a duraion of one year. At that time, I was allowed to stay in US for 1 year while looking for job. On April, 2008, a new regulation came according to which a student on OPT can not stay in US without job for more than 90 days. I was not aware of this rule until end of september 2008. Now I have applied for dependent visa. My worry is that unknowingly I stayed for around 6 month without job when I was actually allowed for only three month. I am worried that is this mistake going to affect my new visa approval? Is there anyway I can explain USCIS that it happened because I was not informed about this rule and I did not come across it.

Please suggest what could be done?

did they have reporting requirement before that? Were you required to report to the school who you are working with?
If you do have a job now, just write to your school that you now know of the reporting requirement and want to report your employer's name to them. You need not mention that you were not employed earlier.
If you are going for 17month extension (if it applies to you) then you have 120 days allowed.

Yes, i was require to report them if i got job. I did not get job so did not communicate with them. they did not inform me as well. I have applied for H4 visa now. If i wud have known, i wud have gone on H4 visa 4 months earlier.
I am worried it may affect my H4 visa approval.