F-1 Expired, OPT expiring soon. Affect on H1 application?

M.N. Ahmed

My F-1 visa was valid until May 2000 (both on I-20 and Visa as well) but I did not finish my MS. Did all the course work but dint not finish the
project work. My OPT started on April 2000 and will end in April 2001.

Meanwhile my school extended the time to finish the project until the end of spring 2001 semester and depending upon the progress they will extend it further. I have to queries:

1. The Admissions officer of my school says I cant register for Spring 2001 class because my F-1 is already expired and I have exceeded the time allowed to finish the degree and since my OPT ends in April 2001, there is no way I can finish the degree. Is there way that I can get round this and finish my graduation?

2. I\'m likely to join a company shortly which is willing to sponsor me for H1 sometime in the middle of Jan 2001. But then again since I haven finished my degree will this have any impact on success of getting a H1 visa? I dont have a specific industry experience other than my GA ex. while in college. If it gets rejected will I have to leave the U.S. immediately?

Thank you all in advance for your suggestions and help.

very worried and confused desi!

-MNA