Extension of stay - NSC

Eszter

Registered Users (C)
I filed an I-539, Extension of stay application for my Mom. Below are the specs:
1) I-539 mailed 08/20/2002
2)Received date: 08/22/2002
3)Notice date: 08/22/2002
4)Reason for extension: requested 3 months extension, to have my Mom here with us for Christmas (her original I-94 is good until Nov. 9)

Note that Notice of Action says: it usually takes 60-125 days for them to make a decision. This is much longer than it used to be...

Good luck to all of us.

Eszter, please help...

I need to renew my mom's visitor visa. I have a few doubts about it. Please let me know what you did.

Docs Needed:
I-539(Application to Extend/ Change Nonimmigrant Status);

Copy of I-94;
Is copy ok or do we need to send in the original?

Evidence of reason for extension of stay;
What reason will be scrutinized the least? She wants to stay for just one month extra, because she would like to spend some time with my kid.

Evidence of financial support; e.g. bank statements;
Do we need an affidavit? Copies of original docs used to apply for visitor visa?

Evidence of intention to return to your home country; and
I guess the airline itinierary is enough?

Filing fee.
Is this $140?

Arajakum:

Docs Needed:
I-539(Application to Extend/ Change Nonimmigrant Status);

Copy of I-94;
Is copy ok or do we need to send in the original?
- you need to send the original; make sure you make a copy of both sides for yourself

Evidence of reason for extension of stay;
What reason will be scrutinized the least? She wants to stay for just one month extra, because she would like to spend some time with my kid.
- I simply said that we would like her to stay with us for the Holidays (otherwise her I-94 expires Nov. 9, so I requested 3 months extension)

Evidence of financial support; e.g. bank statements;
Do we need an affidavit? Copies of original docs used to apply for visitor visa?
- You do not need an affidavit but some people think it might be useful. I made copies of the following: checking acct. statement, saving acct. statement, W2s, 2001 federal tax return; paychecks for me and my husband

Evidence of intention to return to your home country; and
I guess the airline itinierary is enough?
- I only had an itinerary with a January 2003 date. We still have not changed the date on her ticket just to be sure.

Filing fee.
Is this $140?
- Yes.

I also attached a cover letter to the whole package which stated the reason for the application, etc. I said that we (my husband and I) are responsible for all her financial needs, room and board and that we will personally make sure that she leaves before her authorized stay expires. I also included a copy of my green card.

Let me know if you need more info, I would be glad to help.