expiring passport and passport stamping

GC6020

Registered Users (C)
My passport expires in Jan 2005. My 485 is approved on may 18 2004.

Is it OK if I go to stamping with a passport which is going to expire in 6 months?

Or is it better to renew passport and then go for stamping?

thanks

GC6020

good question , I was wondering about it too.Another thing if some one get a new passport with the old one which is going to expire in few month , in which passport would they stamp !

The new passport will be stamped. The old passports r not valid and cannot be used for any immigration purposes.
Also, Indian counslates hold passport renewal camps and if there is a camp in your city, try to attend them and your passport might be renewed the same day. Also even though Jan 2005 is another 7 months away, you can still get a new passport. Call the Indian counslate for this. If you mail your documents, you will get a passport in 10-14 days. They are very efficient.

If you don't have a passport valid for at least a year, they will give you a peice of white cardboard to put the stamp on. (similar to I-94 cardboard) Not very elegant looking, indeed. This happened to a friend of mine. His passport was completely expired.

Get the stamp on the cardboard, or if you're lucky they will stamp your expiring passport. Wait for your green card to arrive in the mail. Renew your passport, and then go stamp the new passport.
My 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think 7 months is plenty..if i were u..i'd get the stamping done...wait for the actual card (which should arrive in less than 6 weeks)..once u get it..renew the passport..

or u can renew the passport in 2 weeks..get the stamping..wait for GC..all this will delay the stamping and card arrival by 2-3 weeks..if u can wait that long..this is fine too..

Madhav