Expiring Green Card, N-400 in process

Stolen Chalupa

Registered Users (C)
I've got some time...but in a few months I will need to do something because my green card will expire.

I have read that it is not necessary to get a new green card. I can get a stamp in my passport. Is this true?

I am imagining some difficulties without having a green card:
1. Airport checks, international travel. They always want to see my green card. Would the stamp suffice? Day trips to Mexico. I always show my green card to get back.
2. New employment. Probably ok since a social and drivers license is all that is required.

I am thinking if it comes to my card expiring, it might be worth it to pay for a new one, mostly for piece of mind. Comments?

Thanks
SC

If you travel quite frequent, I would not mind paying for a new 'renewed' greencard for the peace of mind.
Stoeln Chalupa, hangin' there for your N400, hopefully FBI and USCIS keep their promise in clearing the backlog

I think you have answered most of your questions. Renewing the GC is not mandatory, they should stamp your passport, but a passport with stamp can lead to some more inconveniences when entering the country after a trip (secondary inspection to make sure you are who you are and that the stamp is legit). It's up to you if you think it's better to apply for a new GC. I don't think the difficulties would be large, but if you travel often it might pay to renew the GC. I hope you get your naturalization soon.

Try contacting your congressperson to lobby for your case. It is crazy that with such an old PD they can tell you to wait till the yr end.

The easiest resolution for your GC touble will be the IV and oath ;-)