Expired Re-Entry permit. Stay outside USA over 2 years

dhirendra_sh

Registered Users (C)
Elderly parent with green valid until 2024.
However parent left USA in October 2018 with a 2 year re-entry permit. Due to COVID situation parent was unable to travel to USA by October 2020 when the validity of re-entry permit expired.

Can parent travel back to USA using Green Card now that Re-Entry permit is no longer valid ?

Parent filed US taxes in 2018 and 2019.

Thanks

I’m not sure what you want people to say. You are supposed to travel back either (1) within one year if just on a green card, or (2) within the expiry period of a re-entry permit. If longer than either of those your parent is supposed to apply for a SB1 returning resident visa, if he can prove circumstances were beyond his control, or a new immigrant visa if still eligible. He can try fly back with what he has but certainly risks facing problems with CBP, and some airlines will not board someone beyond one year GC/without valid re-entry permit. No-one can give you reassurance it will be successful. It may be, it may not be. It could be very stressful for an elderly person to go through secondary at CBP, something you should also consider.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/returning-resident.html
A permanent resident (called lawful permanent resident or LPR) or conditional resident (CR) who has remained outside the United States for longer than one year, or beyond the validity period of a Re-entry Permit, will require a new immigrant visa to enter the United States and resume permanent residence.

Thank you !
I was checking SB 1 returning resident visa requirements. It looks like SB 1 applicant has to go through medical exam again.

Will diabetes, hypertension cause problems in passing the medical exam ?

Thank you !
I was checking SB 1 returning resident visa requirements. It looks like SB 1 applicant has to go through medical exam again.

Will diabetes, hypertension cause problems in passing the medical exam ?

Only insofar as they may raise public charge concerns about being able to afford to treat chronic conditions. It is communicable diseases that are the main problem for medical (TB, etc)