Expired passport... is it a problem ??

ema76

Registered Users (C)
I only have an expired passport to photocopy for my I-485 package. Is it really a problem that it has expired ?? (august 2003).
And also, what pages should I copy in the passport ? All the pages with a stamp on it ?? (I came 2 times in the US, and overstayed the 3rd time...)
Thanks !!!

Ema.

It wasn't a problem for us. But should be able get a renewal from your country's consulate. We did that after we filed the AOS paperwork.

I did renew my passport as well. Contact your closest embassy, collect all the info they want, fill the application, attach check and wait for your new passport. As far as I-485 attach copies of pages from your old passport and explain on the separate attachement that you are going (or you are right now) applying for a new passport.

I also have an expired passport only

I only have an expired passport also, but the embassy wants to see the papers that prove my legal immigration status. I am here on an overstayed visa, married an USC in January 2005 and have no valid picture id anymore. I have not filed for adjustment of status yet. What should I do? Please help! :confused:

christa said:
I only have an expired passport also, but the embassy wants to see the papers that prove my legal immigration status. I am here on an overstayed visa, married an USC in January 2005 and have no valid picture id anymore. I have not filed for adjustment of status yet. What should I do? Please help! :confused:

I’m in a kind of same boat like Christa – my passport expired 9 years ago and my embassy won’t renew it until I show them my green card.

Christa,
file your AOS paperwork as soon as you can. Just photocopy every page including the visa page of your old passport.
Along with your I-130 and I-485 file for an employment authorization (form I-765).
EAD will be your legal and valid photo id until you get something else.
When you get your I-485 receipt and the EAD card – take it to the SS office and apply for a number.
Then go to the driver’s license office. Do not show them your expired passport!
EAD and the receipt of I-485 (green card application) would be enough.
You’ll get a new Driver’s licence. It would be valid for as long as your EAD (one year).
Good luck!

Thank you

Thank you for filling me in. Thanks for the link. How long does it approx. take to get the EAD? ;)