Experts!? Waiver when out of status w/expired passport

frontera

Registered Users (C)
Could anyone please clarify this complicated situation?

I (USC) want to marry my fiance

She was sponsored by her govt in university subj to 212e according to her iap-66

after school she applied to waiver... got Dos case number (have letter) and had the Malay embassy send the no obj letter to the agency (we have a copy).
At this point she stopped the process and did not file further.
(i checked dos website using the case number - no info on the case)

Some time after she became out of status (7 years now). As i understand she is not accumulating any unlawful presence (according to pianoplayer) because she has D/S on her j-1.

Her passport expired in 2002.

Is the no obj waiver possible in this case? what are the possible obstacles?

I would greately appreciate knowlegeable input on this.

I would say that obtaining a waiver while in the US is next to impossible in this case. The first thing she should do is attempt to obtain a new passport from her embassy. Afterwards, talk to a lawyer. She may have to leave the country before applying again for a waiver (which one can do if one wishes). Or she can hire a lawyer in the US to do the waiver while she waits abroad. I cannot fathom a situation where the DOS will process a waiver of an individual who is triple-count out of status (1- not in her program, 2- overstayed the duration of her DS-2019/IAP-66, 3- let her passport expire). That she has not been yet deemed to be unlawfully present is her only asset, and that's something she should try to hold on to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input.

However, it seems to me that you might not possess enough information to help me out here...

The waiver cannot be processed without a valid passport? is that what you are saying?

Thanks for your input.

However, it seems to me that you might not possess enough information to help me out here...

The waiver cannot be processed without a valid passport? is that what you are saying?

If I had enough information, I'd work as a lawyer myself! :)

What I am saying is that the DOS requires a copy of your valid passport as part of the waiver application. If you submit a copy of an expired passport, or do not submit it at all, the DOS will most likely request that you send them a copy of a current valid passport. Your application will otherwise be incomplete and will not be processed.

Having your passport valid at all times is a requirement for remaining in status when you are here on a nonimmigrant visa. But separately, a copy of your current valid passport is also part of the J-1 waiver application. The DOS Waiver Review Division routinely sends out notices of incomplete applications when a required application item is missing, and will probably do so in this case.

If you can re-activate her old waiver case - or start a new case - once you obtain a new passport from her embassy, the DOS may adjudicate the case and issue a recommendation. Then it will go to USCIS, where her legal status and all of that may be scrutinized more closely than at DOS (even though in at least one case - LucyMO on these forums - the DOS did ask her for proof of legal status).

Although I may not possess enough information, I don't think you will find much more information for your problem on a forum such as this. Your case definitely warrants the intervention of a lawyer, in my opinion.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator: