Expedited Passport

ravi74

Registered Users (C)
I applied for the expedited passport with overnight delivery on last saturday (04/25). Still no online status. I already bought my ticket for 05/08. Not sure i need to change my flight date yet:confused:

My experience with expedite passport

I applied for my passport expedite on April 20 with traveling date may 2nd and I got passport in hand on April 29. It might take three days for them to start processing it but on the fourth day you should be able to check the status online. I would not change my flight if I were you as long as you specifically mentioned your travel plan on your application

I applied for the expedited passport with overnight delivery on last saturday (04/25). Still no online status. I already bought my ticket for 05/08. Not sure i need to change my flight date yet:confused:

I also applied for expedited passport and it arrived 6 days later. It never appeared in online status.

I have a feeling that they don't even put it into online status tracking system if you order it expedited, since they make the passport and send it to you as soon as they receive the application. So no point to keep online status for expedited passports, as the only possible status it can have is "done and sent out".

I applied for my son's passport on Monday (non-expedited) and received the passort on Friday, I was amazed. So, don't change your flight, you'll get it before mid next week.

I applied for mine expedited and received it 14 days after. My father applied for expedited and he received his in 5-7 days. It all depends. Try calling them and ask them the status. I was getting worried when my father received his and my online status was no available. I called and they told me the date they were mailing it to me.

I don't know how far you live from a Regional Passport Agency, but looks to me that yours is a perfect case where you can apply by visiting a Service center and get the passport on the same day...please look at http://travel.state.gov/passport/about/npic/npic_898.html
As you have already applied you might be able to call the National Passport Information Center and check the status. If they see that you might not get in time for Visa (if the other country needs it) and Travel on the booked time, they may be able to provide you a appointment for getting passport on the same day if you can visit them! - Not sure how they will handle this kind of cases as you might sent the required original documents with the application

If you are visiting any country that requires a Visa for US Citizens, you might be able to avail this service if the travel is within 4 weeks...only thing is how far do you live from a center and if you can make it or not!!!

Try it out :)

I was able to check the status today and it says its being processed. It also says if I'm travelling within 7 days I need to call them.Hopefully I get it before my travel :)

Did u mention your travel dates on the application. If you did, it will arrive in time.

I just got the passport in the mail, but not the naturalization certificate.Will that be coming in a different mail?

I just got the passport in the mail, but not the naturalization certificate.Will that be coming in a different mail?

I knew it! I was pretty sure that you were going to get the passport in time for your trip. The certificate will arrive later on a separate envelope, that's normal procedure.

Thanks Huracan, I called the customer service and learnt it may take upto two more weeks to get the Naturalization Certificate and he can see it has not been mailed out yet from their end.

It could be better and cheaper for them too if they could mail them all together :cool:

Thanks Huracan, I called the customer service and learnt it may take upto two more weeks to get the Naturalization Certificate and he can see it has not been mailed out yet from their end.

It could be better and cheaper for them too if they could mail them all together :cool:

Yes, it probably would be cheaper, but most likely not faster. I don't claim to understand how they process passports, but I think it works in a way that someone checks all the documents at a regular office with a bunch of federal or contract employees and then issues an order to print your passport at a passport production facility (remember that passport photo is printed digitally, so your physical photograph doesn't have to travel to the passport printer). Point is that the passport is produced in one part of the country while certificate might be in another part of the country. If all of them had to be together that would lead to inefficiencies which would delay things, and perhaps actually make things more expensive.

On the other hand I understand the uneasy feeling of having to wait for the certificate a few days. I was there and there is some post from me when I was worried they might have lost the certificate or got lost in the mail, at the end neither thing happened and I got my certificate.

Signature on Passport

Thanks for clarifying that Huracan.

I'm not sure how to sign the passport, I guess I need to sign the passport the way i did my naturalization certificate (Full Name).

Not necessarily. That's what I ended up doing and it is something I'll have to live for a few years more until the next passport. You can sign it with the same signature you use for your credit cards, or checks, or driver license. I don't think there is a rule that the signature has to match the certificate. If you want to sign with a water-proof, tamper resistant ink you might want to check the uni-ball superink pens, like the gel based signo 207 or the jetstream (quick dry).

If you want to sign with a water-proof, tamper resistant ink you might want to check the uni-ball superink pens, like the gel based signo 207 .

That's what I used. I bought it for signing cheques (since it's tamper resistant), so, it seemed a good choice for passport also.