Expedited passport – the system does work !!!!

rwsh

Registered Users (C)
I applied for my new (first) passport two weeks ago and it arrived today. My naturalization certificate arrived with it. Some threads have indicated they are sometimes returned separately.

I used the expedited service which includes priority mail for both the application and the passport return. The online monitoring and email system also worked well.

Regional office: Mesquite, Texas
Local office: San Antonio, Texas

• September 1983. Permanent residency (Green Card) granted
• 28th July 06: N-400 application mailed
• 7th August 06: Resubmitted with correct check (first check based on incorrect data on USCIS web site)
• 9th August 06: Priority Date and Application Number issued (& check cashed)
• 15th August 06: Fingerprint (FP) notification (6 days from Priority Date). Missed FP date due to absence from town
• 31st August 06: Request to reschedule FP
• 5th September 06: Proactive visit to the FP office as a “walk-in” (27 days from Priority Date)
• 20th April 07: Notice to attend interview (227 days from FP; 254 days from Priority Date). Note: file was not removed from USCIS status site.
• 9th May 07: Interview. N-400 application approved subject to supervisor’s review (normal condition). (273 days from Priority Date, 19 days from interview letter).
• 31st May 07: Oath letter (295 days from Priority Date, 22 days from interview).
• 28th June 07: Oath (323 days from Priority Date, 28 days from oath letter).
• 7th August 07: Passport application.
• 22nd August 07: Passport received.

Lessons learned:

1. For most applicants, I believe that the naturalization system works and that the USCIS has the vision of being an efficient and customer-focused government department. However the process is, for most of us, incredibly slow and frustrating.
2. My situation has meant that the application process has not been difficult. No lawyer was needed. However, I might use a lawyer for complex situations.
3. Be prepared for the USCIS to operate faster than you might have assumed. If away from town do not have the post office hold mail but have friend/relative receive mail and open all USCIS communications.
4. In emergencies, just showing up at the FP office as a “walk-in” does work.
5. As this forum has indicated, removal of the case status, or lack thereof, from the USCIS website is not a reliable indicator that the interview letter is imminent.
6. Be well prepared at interview time with back-up data for residency, overseas travel, tax, traffic violations, etc. etc. (see Sticky and other posts on this site).
7. The passport crisis appears to be subsiding but still use expedited if you can afford it and you want it within 2-4 weeks.

DS11- Alien Registration number

In the DS11 question #6 Alien Registration number ( If applicable) do we have to fill this with Alien number?

They have taken my Green card during citizenship oath.

I did put my A number on my application. Not sure that it matters at all. My passport number and A number are different. As Jedi.Knight suggests, you will most likley have your A number for life tho' I know of no routine situations where it would ever come up again.

A number is on the naturalization certificate, so even if you don't write it in the application they can get it from the certificate. I guess the passport office will use this to verify your citizenship status. I guess A number as has been said it is for life, like a social security number. I also agree that there should not be any other routine situation for which you'll need this number.

I applied for my passport last Tuesday using expedited service. However when I tracked its status online, the website says that "When you applied, you requested Routine Service. You should receive your passport within 10-12 weeks from the date you applied." :confused:

It gets me totally confused because I'm 100% sure I requested expedited service and I paid the additional fee too. I'm wondering if this is what happened to you guys or if someone working at the passport agency made a mistake. Please help me out because I'm traveling within 6 weeks. Thanks so much yall!

This happens ALL the time. Look around in this forum. Anyway, don't worry you'll get your PP within 3-4 weeks.

Question? How can you apply for PP without Interview or Oath? Or is your signature not updated?

Best Wishes,
-Jedi.Knight