Exceptions from RFE for Birth Certificates?

satsum

Registered Users (C)
Has anyone at VSC gotten away with a birth certificate issued by an Indian Consulate without an RFE?

I provided my birth certificate issued by the Chicago Indian Consulate with my application in Oct 2001. I know that most likely I will receive an RFE for additional proof of birth but, thinking positively, I was wondering if there has been any instances where VSC ever accepted a consulate-issued Birth certificate before.

And after you respond to the RFE with additional information like your affidavit etc, how much time does VSC take to continue/complete the application? anyone?

I read a post on this site somewhere that INS accepted the BC from Indian consulate. I also read that the do not accept that.

In my opinion. They should accept b'coz its a valid govt. document issued by the Govt. of India. Period. But thats my argument.

Extract from Immigration handout of my .com

Birth Certificate

Available. Prior to 1970, reporting of births was voluntary. Birth certificates of Europeans, Anglo-Indians, Armenian Christians, Jews and Parsis born prior to 1970 may be obtained from the State Registrar General of Births, Deaths, and Marriages. No standard or uniform certificate is issued by the authorities. In addition, acceptable certificates may often be obtained from the municipal and rural registration records which are maintained under the state laws. Europeans, Anglo-Indians, and Indian Christians are usually able to obtain church baptismal certificates. Under the Registration of Births and Deaths Act of 1969, births are required to be registered in almost all of the States and Union Territories of India. Birth certificates are available to any applicant born on or after April 1, 1970, on payment of nominal fees to the appropriate authority.

In cases where birth certificates from the appropriate authorities are unavailable or contain insufficient information regarding the birth or the parents, a sworn affidavit executed by either the parents, if living, or other close relatives older than the applicant, may be submitted. It should set forth the relationship between the deponent and the applicant, how well the deponent knows the applicant, date and place of the applicant's birth, the names of both parents, and any other related facts. Such affidavit, when a birth certificate is unavailable, should be accompanied by a document from a competent governmental authority confirming that the certificate does not exist or no longer exists.