Entering the U.S with a B1/B2 visa before applying for an E2 visa

JoyceW

Hi,

My wife and I are planning establish a new business, hence, would like to obtain an E2 Visa.

We both entered the U.S with a B1/B2 visa (I am also from a visa waiver program country) in October and stayed in NY for a couple of weeks. Our visit purpose was to handle all the aspects of our new business formation (e.g. negotiating contracts, consulting with clients or business partners, seeing potential places for our business, etc.). We didn’t, however, provides honest information at the time of entry, and told the Customs and Border Protection officer we came for vacation purposes.

Wewould like to come back to NY during late December / early January to continue where we left off, then open the business somewhen near April and also apply for the E2 visa at a U.S. Consulate or obtain the E-2Visa status in the U.S. with a “change of status.

We are afraid that next time we would arrive to the U.S, the CBP officer will refuse our entry.

I would appreciate if you could advise what is the best and least risky way to enter the U.S. again. Should we provide honest information at the time of entry, and indicate the truthful purposes of our visit? Should we say our visit is for vacation purposes (for example, for a holiday or a concert) again?

Also, does it matter where we enter the U.S from (i.e. are there specific states or airports where the CBP questioning is less scrutinizing and with greater chances of entry)?

Thanks in advance for your help in this matter.

Hi,

My wife and I are planning establish a new business, hence, would like to obtain an E2 Visa.

We both entered the U.S with a B1/B2 visa (I am also from a visa waiver program country) in October and stayed in NY for a couple of weeks. Our visit purpose was to handle all the aspects of our new business formation (e.g. negotiating contracts, consulting with clients or business partners, seeing potential places for our business, etc.). We didn’t, however, provides honest information at the time of entry, and told the Customs and Border Protection officer we came for vacation purposes.

Wewould like to come back to NY during late December / early January to continue where we left off, then open the business somewhen near April and also apply for the E2 visa at a U.S. Consulate or obtain the E-2Visa status in the U.S. with a “change of status.

We are afraid that next time we would arrive to the U.S, the CBP officer will refuse our entry.

I would appreciate if you could advise what is the best and least risky way to enter the U.S. again. Should we provide honest information at the time of entry, and indicate the truthful purposes of our visit? Should we say our visit is for vacation purposes (for example, for a holiday or a concert) again?

Also, does it matter where we enter the U.S from (i.e. are there specific states or airports where the CBP questioning is less scrutinizing and with greater chances of entry)?

Thanks in advance for your help in this matter.

I always consider that when you are dealing with a CBP Officer is to always be honest on the reasons behind the trip. Specially if you are planning to do business in the United States. I personally have travelled to a couple of states in the U.S and the procedures are very similar.