ENGLISH LANGUAGE PROFECIENCY-VISASCREEN-What is the requirement?

suesanna

Registered Users (C)
Hi!
I am in the process of completing my VISASCREEN requirements. My TOEFL score expired in 2004, so I took TOEIC last Dec. 10,2005. I got a letter from ICHP that I need to pass a general English exam from one of the federally-approved testing agencies. I called ICHP to inform them that I did took the TOEIC exam and is on the way to send my score to them. The person I talked to from ICHP told me that "TOEIC IS NOT ENOUGH" to qualify for the NURSE VISASCREEN CERTIFICATION.
I took TOEIC because it was easy to register, it's easier than TOEFL w/o the essay, and it is listed as one of the accepted exams under item 17 of the VISASCREEN HANDBOOK. The personnel from ICHP told me also that I need to pass the TOEFL AND TWE. I called again the following day and was told that I need to take IBT. I don't even know what IBT is!

QUESTION: Should I just write the TWE to add with the TOEIC, OR do I need to still write the TOEFL and TWE?

IBT is the new toefl + tse.....with this exam u dont have to register seperately for each and everything. Its easier than going to 2 diffeerent exams...
I havent really heard about TOEIC...so I am not sure.....

why don't you try IELTS?

suesanna said:
Hi!
I am in the process of completing my VISASCREEN requirements. My TOEFL score expired in 2004, so I took TOEIC last Dec. 10,2005. I got a letter from ICHP that I need to pass a general English exam from one of the federally-approved testing agencies. I called ICHP to inform them that I did took the TOEIC exam and is on the way to send my score to them. The person I talked to from ICHP told me that "TOEIC IS NOT ENOUGH" to qualify for the NURSE VISASCREEN CERTIFICATION.
I took TOEIC because it was easy to register, it's easier than TOEFL w/o the essay, and it is listed as one of the accepted exams under item 17 of the VISASCREEN HANDBOOK. The personnel from ICHP told me also that I need to pass the TOEFL AND TWE. I called again the following day and was told that I need to take IBT. I don't even know what IBT is!

QUESTION: Should I just write the TWE to add with the TOEIC, OR do I need to still write the TOEFL and TWE?

Galaxy2006 said:
IBT is the new toefl + tse.....with this exam u dont have to register seperately for each and everything. Its easier than going to 2 diffeerent exams...
I havent really heard about TOEIC...so I am not sure.....
THANK YOU so much for the info! :)

cool_change said:
why don't you try IELTS?
I believe IELTS is one of the choices for English Language Profeciency in the VISASCREEN handbook (item 17), but I wasn't adviced to take that too. I just don't want to write any exam again and be told that it is NOT "enough" or qualified again. I wasted my time and money writing the TOEIC. ICHP should revise their handbook for any changes. There were a few of us who took TOEIC. I bet they have the same response from ICHP. Also, why did I get different answers from the ICHP personnel? Why didn't they just mention in their correspondence what specific exams do I need to write!? Frustrating :(