Emergency Travel to Taiwan (not COP)

froff22

Registered Users (C)
Hey guys,

Been away from the forum for a little while and have been trying to catch up on the posts. I'm posting this new thread in anticipation of a trip that I want to make in the next two weeks. I'm hoping to get some feedback as well as report on the trip for your reference.

The situation
I just found out today that my 93 year old grandmother is diagnosed with cancer and I would like to see her in Taiwan, a country that is not my COP. You can read from my signature line, my current status. I did renew my NP around July of 2004, before I was granted PR status and so have a current passport to travel on. I did it in part because at that time, adjustment of status was still following an 8+ year timeline. I was worried about being in limbo forever and didn't want any problems if I had to abandon my application and return to COP. I guess I won't find out if that was a mistake until I apply for citizenship.

The travel plan
I anticipate that I will travel directly to Taiwan for approximately 10 days. I plan to leave in the next 10-14 days or so. Given the short notice of the trip, I may have to travel using my NP (My understanding is that RP and RTD both may take up to a few months to be processed). I do not need to apply for a visa ahead of time using my NP, so I don't anticipate any problems getting admitted into Taiwan. I plan on travelling and returning using my NP and GC.

Some questions
1) Given my situation should I try to apply for an RTD or RP and delay the travel plans?
2) From reading past posts, I sense that the experience is that with an NP and GC (even if obtained through asylum) you should have little problem returning to the US. Has there been problems others have encountered with similar situation as mine?

If I go through with the travel, I'm hoping to report back the experience of the entire process. It may not be as interesting as if I had returned to COP...but hopefully helpful to some nevertheless.

Any support or advice would be greatly appreciated. Take care everyone.

froff22 said:
Hey guys,

Been away from the forum for a little while and have been trying to catch up on the posts. I'm posting this new thread in anticipation of a trip that I want to make in the next two weeks. I'm hoping to get some feedback as well as report on the trip for your reference.

The situation
I just found out today that my 93 year old grandmother is diagnosed with cancer and I would like to see her in Taiwan, a country that is not my COP. You can read from my signature line, my current status. I did renew my NP around July of 2004, before I was granted PR status and so have a current passport to travel on. I did it in part because at that time, adjustment of status was still following an 8+ year timeline. I was worried about being in limbo forever and didn't want any problems if I had to abandon my application and return to COP. I guess I won't find out if that was a mistake until I apply for citizenship.

The travel plan
I anticipate that I will travel directly to Taiwan for approximately 10 days. I plan to leave in the next 10-14 days or so. Given the short notice of the trip, I may have to travel using my NP (My understanding is that RP and RTD both may take up to a few months to be processed). I do not need to apply for a visa ahead of time using my NP, so I don't anticipate any problems getting admitted into Taiwan. I plan on travelling and returning using my NP and GC.

Some questions
1) Given my situation should I try to apply for an RTD or RP and delay the travel plans?
2) From reading past posts, I sense that the experience is that with an NP and GC (even if obtained through asylum) you should have little problem returning to the US. Has there been problems others have encountered with similar situation as mine?

If I go through with the travel, I'm hoping to report back the experience of the entire process. It may not be as interesting as if I had returned to COP...but hopefully helpful to some nevertheless.

Any support or advice would be greatly appreciated. Take care everyone.

You are already a PR. Don't worry about RTD and use your NP + GC. I dont see you having any problem. Even if you had to apply for RTD, you could not because in the RTD application, it is asked "have you renewed your National Passport"...and you can't really lie to immigration.

I would suggest use what you got and I dont' see any problems you have. RTD is good for PR's who can't get a national passport from their home country or DO NOT want to get it.

Just to be on the safe side, just log your trip and the reason with any evidence in a folder. It will help you in the future, a) because you have to write on your citizenship application where you have travelled, places & dates, b)Also if you get a stupid officer who makes a big deal, you can say you went to visit a sick relative.

I hope this helps and have a safe trip.

froff22,
Make sure that you don't need VISA from Taiwan. I read something before that Taiwan might not accept RTD. So it doesn't make too much sense to apply.
Good luck!

thanks I-K-A-K-O, applyarea, and wantmygcnow! I appreciate your advice and support. I'll definitely keep you updated if my travels go through.