emergency help

ronis

Registered Users (C)
Dear Senior members
Iam quite confused. I hire a attorney in newyokr to apply my asylum case four months ago. but he haven't given me any proof that he have applied my case wheneve i ask him about the any letter from INS he says that he will bring it and give me but he never gave me till today. Now i want to change my lawyer and i need a good lawyer in newyork city could you please suggest any good lawyer in newyork its emergency becasue i have only one month left for one year of my arrival. and even if he had applied my case can i change my lawyer now?

hoping to see your response
Thanks

You can change your lawyer whenever you want. Just make sure your case is indeed filed.

I would be really concerned if I were you. Most cases in NYC are decided quickly. If you case was filed four months ago, you can apply for an EAD within 30 days.

Ronis, what country are you from. I can recommend my lawyer, but I have a feeling that most lawyers, who take asylum cases(good one), specialize on coutries, they are familiar with. Anyway you can contact me at annv11@yahoo.com

ronis,

I live in New York City and got granted for my asylum case in May 2002. It took me about 2 months from start to finish once my case was filed. (The lawyer sent out my case in late March) and I received a receipt letter from the INS about two weeks after (INS sent out two copied, one for my lawyer and the other for me). And I received my approval letter in May 14, 2002.

It seems to me your lawyer has not filed your case yet. I think you should talk to him/her as soon as possible.

If you want I can give you my lawyer phone number. I am very happy with the service. He is very responsible and his staff (Oliver) is excellent. Oliver called or emailed me whenever they received anything from the INS. And he actually called me a day before my interview to remind me of the meeting. Please email me at cheekean@hotmail.com if you are interested or you can also call the New York Bar Assocation to get a referral. That what I did last time.

For privacy purposes, I don't want to give out his phone number on this forum. NOTE: I have no association with the law firm or the lawyer. You can schedule a meeting with him to see if you feel comfortable of having him to represent you. It is very important that you feel comfortable.

Last edited by a moderator: