Effect of Canadian Permanent Residence

ls_gcard

Registered Users (C)
Hello:

I would greatly appreciate your take on the following matter:

· My US green card was approved recently and I now have the temporary GC stamp in my passport.
· I was also approved a while ago for Canadian PR - however, I never landed.
· I was thinking of landing in Canada for a few days (and coming right back to the US) to preserve the Canadian PR.
· I don't intend to live, work in Canada or visit frequently - I will be making just 1 trip for a few days to Canada and coming right back to the US. This will help a relative in India get some points when she applies for Canadian residence.

1) Do you think I would have problems going to Canada or more importantly, coming back to the US?

2) On your way back to the US, would INS ask about my status in Canada? If they do, what is the best way of responding to such a question?

4) Can the INS cause problems with my green card or at time of naturalization application based on landing in Canada?

5) I was especially interested if people in a similar situation as mine have been hassled at the US point of entry.

I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
ls_gcard said:
1) Do you think I would have problems going to Canada or more importantly, coming back to the US?

2) On your way back to the US, would INS ask about my status in Canada? If they do, what is the best way of responding to such a question?

4) Can the INS cause problems with my green card or at time of naturalization application based on landing in Canada?

5) I was especially interested if people in a similar situation as mine have been hassled at the US point of entry/ if anyone in a similar position
QUOTE]

1 & 2 - Yes it is possible to have problems. Sometime they do ask if you are a resident in Canada.
4- I think you can not keep two 'permanent residencies'. Others please clarify.
5- Yes people do go through hard time at the point of entry if they have multiple status in both the countries.

My suggestion is that you should make up your mind and decide where you want to establish your future life (USA or Canada).
I love USA, therefore my preference is clear. Canada is great country too.

I only intend to visit Canada once to land to preserve the Canadian PR. According to the rules in Canada, i wouldn't have to spend anytime in Canada for 3 years after landing - and the Canadian Permanent Residence visa would still be valid.

I intend to keep working, living, paying taxes as a resident in the US.

Do you still think this would be an issue?

Has anyone else been in the same situation as me (getting Canadian PR after US green card)? As i mentioned, I want to get the Canadian PR to just help out a relative in India who is thinking of applying to Canada.

Thanks

Hi ls_gcard

I am in a similar situation. I am a US Green card holder and my husband on H1. He applied for canandian GC a couple of years back (with me as his dependant) and we now have an interview coming up soon.
Canadian GC is a back-up plan for my husband until he gets his own US GC (either through me or his employer)
We're just debating if we should go for this candian interview or not thinking what implications it may have on my US citizenship application/my husband's US GC thru me.
But like you said, canadian GC would be helpful for relatives if they want to come to Cananda.
But i heard that canadian immi officicals do not stamp the passport or anything until you land there.. and there's one year time between the interview and the actual landing date. It helps to buy some more time and you can keep your canadian app. active.
Is that true? in which case we can atleast go for the interview (for which we have invested so much money and time) and then think about whehter or not we really want to land there later..

madhuri_dhar said:
But i heard that canadian immi officicals do not stamp the passport or anything until you land there.. and there's one year time between the interview and the actual landing date. It helps to buy some more time and you can keep your canadian app. active.
Is that true? .

Its true.