EDD - Break of benefits because of travel to home country?

speeddevil

Hi,
Does anybody have experience in stopping EDD unemployment payment benefits for 3 - 4 month?

I am getting unemployment payments since April and planning to travel to my home country for 3-4 month and would like to stop the payments during this time and reactivate my payments when I am back in the US.

EDD phone representative said that it is possible, but I cannot find anything in writing in my EDD documentation or at their web site.

Can anybody give me info on this topic?
Thanks.

That is possible, but...

From what I know, if you discontinued your UI (unemployment benefit) for a certain amount of time, they will not pay you the amount you missed when you are gone. For example, you already claimed 1 month of UI then you stopped claiming for 3 months, when you re-opened your claim the UI will count the last 3 months as spent and you have to start on the 5th month.

FYI: No problems with having a break in benefits

I notified the EDD that I'll stay outside the US for over 3 month and when I came back I had no problems to reactivate my benefits.

The unemployment benefits are valid for one year and within this year you can stop and start the benefits as often as you want.