EB3 - I-485 Filing Questions

moledude

Registered Users (C)
Hello, my company is sponsoring me to get a green card (EB3) and I'm finally meeting my priority date (Feb 2007) on the February 2013 visa bulletin. My company is very small, so I will be working on the I-485 form myself hopefully without a lawyer. I am not planning on traveling abroad until I get my green card. I have some questions that I hope you guys can help me with:

- I-693: Do I submit the original form, sealed by my doctor, with the I-485? I've read posts that suggest I need to submit the original, but I've also read that I need to bring it with me to the interview.

- My H1B is good until 2015. Do you see a need to submit I-765 to get an EAD card?

- Do I need to submit I-864 or I-134, both, or neither (Affidavit of Support)?

- Criminal History: I have none, either in my home country or in the US. I've lived in the US for 14 years. Do I need to get this? If so, do I need it from both my home country and the US?

- Here's a list of documents that I've seen that I need to submit. Can you please let me know if I missed anything?

1. I-485
2. Copy of I-797 (approval of my I-140)
3. G-325A
4. I-693 (copy or original?)
5. I-765 (needed?)
6. I-864 or I-134 (needed?)
7. 2 passport photos
8. Copy of birth certificate
9. Criminal history (needed?)
10. Copy of passport, visa, I-94
11. Copy of diplomas
12. Fees (personal check okay?)
13. Copies of recent W-2s and check stubs
14. Letter from employer (needed?)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!! ;)

I-693, Physican's report is provided to you in a sealed envelope by the physician and should be sent to USCIS without opening it.
If you are not planning to seek employment outside of H1b, you can skip I-765.
For employment based I-485 neither I-864 nor I-134 are required. You will need a notarized letter from your employer confirming that the job is available and offered salary.
USCIS will take your fingerprints and enquire with FBI, you don't have to do anything for a police report.
I don't think copies of diploma is needed.
Fees can be paid by personal check, for an amount of $1070 (including $85 fingerprinting fee)

THANK YOU for your quick and detailed response. I really, really appreciate it!! Have a good weekend! :D

Sorry I have one additional question:

You said "If you are not planning to seek employment outside of H1b, you can skip I-765." Does that mean if I do file I-765 and get my EAD card, I can switch jobs right away while doing the biometric, interview, and waiting for the green card? Could switching jobs complicate the green card process at all?

Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: