EB2 & EB3 Category...

Vicky1010

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
Sorry to ask this question here. I've been told by my Attorney that my case was filed in EB2 category. But all of a sudden he is telling that my case is of EB3. Could anyone let me know how to find the category in the filing document papers. I've done masters in India.
Thanks

the difference btw eb2 and eb3 (as well as eb1 & eb2) is sometimes not too clear.

I used to think which category one falls in solely depended on one's education level, but I've been told that's not necessarily the case. It apparently depends on your education and occupation in combination.

So if you have master's level educ and have a professional occupation (even though defining what's a professional job by itself is not always easy!), then your category is likely to be eb2. But even if you have a master's if your job is not recognized as a professional occupation, then your categ would be eb3. The example I've seen in this forum is someone with a master's degree working as a software developer. And he said in his post that his lawyer told him his category was eb3.

http://uscis.gov/graphics/ gives some info about these categories..
DOL website may also give some info about what jobs are considered as professional..

Having a masters and experience does nto automatically put you into EB2 category.

This is decided by the requirement of the job.

In the LC forms if the employer says he needs a person who has atleast a bachelors, but hired a person with masters and 10 yrs experience... does not mean that the person is eligble for EB2. Since the job requirement says they require a bachelor.. this would be EB3 category......

To decide your category, look for the qualification and experience requirement posted by your employer on the LC forms.