EB1-EA1 denied at NSC after RFE

dgrajan

Registered Users (C)
Dear All,

It was so depressing to just now learn that my EB1-EA I-140 got denied at NSC after responding to RFE. I filed through a lawyer. We submitted the RFE materials on 20th and the fax that my lawyer recieved today shows that the denial decision was made on Feb 22. It is really depressing and shocking. These are some excerpts from the denial notice.

The record reflects that the petitioner is currently employed as a faculty research associate and is likely to continue working as such the area of expertise. The remaining issue is whether the evidence establishes that the petitioner meets the regulatory definition of and criteria for an alien of extraordinary ability. The evidence of record does not establish the alien qualified under the regulatory standards and the petition will be denied on that ground.

The record shows that the petitioner’s area of expertise is the combined field of molecular virology and veterinary medical science. The documents submitted as initial evidence include reference letters written by peers and colleagues, seven of which were written by those who have not worked with him or and personally familiar with him. The records also shows evidence that petitioner has reviewed manuscripts assigned by editorial staff of scientific journals and that he himself has been published and that attended conferences, in his field. The record also shows that the petitioner has won numerous academic accolades at the graduate and undergraduate levels in both the United States and in India, this was further underscored by a printout from an internet search performed on November 15, 2006 at google.com, a search which resulted in showing predominately articles relating the petitioner’s receiving these accolades.

The service did not consider this evidence to be sufficient to warrant a favorable decision and issued correspondence to the petitioner on November 30, 2006, requesting additional evidence. In a response received on Feb. 20, 2007, the petitioner submitted via counsel a cover letter plus additional evidence, including published articles and five more letters of support and to support this petition, which were incorporated into the record.

It is readily apparent that the petitioner is a highly qualified researcher whose work is certainly valuable. The record shows that he has several favorable cited published articles, has participated in conferences and the peers-review process, and that his expertise has been sought by other, but the petitioner has not presented evidence of receipt of a major international award. In the alternative, the record does show evidence of international acclaim in form of published articles and judging the work of other, which is short of the requisite three of the regulatory criteria. C.F.F. 204.5(h)(3).

The service acknowledges opinions presented in many letters written expressly for this proceedings, but these do not overcome the lack of documentary evidence of sustained acclaim. In Matter of Chawathe (USCIS adopted decision, January 11, 2006), the service reaffirmed that C.F.R 204 5(h)(3) requires, “specific objective evidence be submitted to demonstrate eligibility as an alien of extraordinary ability”. The Service will also note that the record does show that the petitioner has won numerous academic accolades, but as impressive as this catalogue of academic recognition is, it is not comparable to awards won in competition that would have included veterans in his field, and therefore cannot be considered sufficient evidence.

As stated in Matter of Price, 20 I&N Dec. 935,955 (………..) it was “Congress” intent to reserve this category to ‘that small percentage of individuals who have risen to the very top of their field of endeavor”. Based on the evidence of record, it cannot be concluded that the petitioner, through evidence of sustained national or international acclaim, is recognized as one of that small percentage who have risen to the very top of the field. C.F.E…… However, the record does show amble evidence indicative that the petitioner may have eligibility under another classification.

The burden of proof in these proceedings remains entirely with the petitioner. In this case the alien petitioner has not sustained that burden.

IN VIEW OF THE ABOVE, THE PETITION IS DENIED.

I do not know what to say. My lawyer did not know about e-filing of I-140 till I told her (after I came to know from this forum). I wanted to know (from Madgu-gc2005 and others) from all of you if I could refile my I-140 again by efiling. Will the decision at NSC affect this new petition? Do ALL efiled cases go to TSC? Please give your valuable suggestions.

sorry to hear again a denial

HI,
Very sorry to hear the bad news, but NSC is known for that. Donot get disappointed by this. Is a matter of time and money. As did by some of our friends in this forum, do an e filing, and so far it has gone to TSC. so collect all the copies of the materials you submitted and submit to TSC. I am sure you will get the approval.
Most of the lawyers are ignorant about it and they are really scared of the service centers.
so relax and act, read some of the threads in this forum which is really goive you sufficent idea how to go ahead.
Good luck

Dgrajan,

Do not feel depressed by this denial as this has happened to me and to many people in this forum. Actually my denial letter (NSC,PP) was very similarly worded to your letter. I would strongly suggest you consider e-filing immediately, and if the current trend continues, it goes to TSC, and in that case you have a much better chance of approval.
As regards your questions:
Will the decision at NSC affect this new petition?
No (when you e-file and they ask about previously filed petitions, just provide your case receipt # LINXXXXXXX DO NOT specificaly mention that case was denied) I do not know whether it affects it or not..that is what I did , and mine got approved.

Do ALL efiled cases go to TSC?
As per recent history, YES. Does not mean it cannot change in future.

This issue has sbeen extensively discussed in this forum by others including madgu_gc, deena_etc,ajasha, pradeep07.

Hope this helps

Dear All,

Do ALL efiled cases go to TSC? Please give your valuable suggestions.

I am really feeling sorry but that's very common in NSC. So take a breath and e-file again to TSC. Try NIW too..

To answer your Question : yes so far e-filing applications (100%) went to TSC .. be fast they may change any time

HI Dgrajan,

Sorry to hear about NSC's decision on your EB1 petition. I know how it hurts (after putting so much effort, money, time etc in preparing all the documents).

NEVER LOOSE HOPE. You can efile immediately (what I understood from this forum and my personal experience is that most of the efiled petitions are going to TSC and we never know when this trend will change) Since you have all the stuffs with you. You push your attorney on efiling. By the way there won't be any negative effect of NSC decision on the petition that you are filing again.

YOu are well deserved candidate for EB-1EA. I request fellow members to give their feedback to dgrajan.

I wish you good luck

Thanks for your suggestions and wishes

Thank you Madgu, Pana, eb11-NSC-Rfe and Good_y for all of your wishes and valuable suggestions. I really appreciate it. I have all the materials ready. I will talk to my lawyer tomorrow morning and ask her to e-file. I hope it goes to TSC as it has been with many of our forum friends, and gets approved. I am really depressed. But, your encouraging words are very helpful. Thank you all once again.

Dgrajan

Thank you Madgu, Pana, eb11-NSC-Rfe and Good_y for all of your wishes and valuable suggestions. I really appreciate it. I have all the materials ready. I will talk to my lawyer tomorrow morning and ask her to e-file. I hope it goes to TSC as it has been with many of our forum friends, and gets approved. I am really depressed. But, your encouraging words are very helpful. Thank you all once again.

Dgrajan

YOu will be through rajan this time.

Now lawyer problem

hi Madgu-gc,

Thank you very much for your encouraging words. I contacted my lawyer and she feels that I probably should not rush things. Just wait and apply in NIW. She feels that if e-filed it might go back again to NSC. I do not know what to do. I have insisted that we try and hope that it goes to TSC to receive a fair analysis.

I also told her if she is not willing to do it, I might do the e-filing myself. First I will see if TSC is the address to which I have to send my documents. If yes, I am lucky. If not I might lose another $195. Then, as done by you and many other forum members, when I submit the documents I request for PP. Will that be the right way? Please give your valuable suggestions.

Thank you very much for your kind help.

hi Madgu-gc,

Thank you very much for your encouraging words. I contacted my lawyer and she feels that I probably should not rush things. Just wait and apply in NIW. She feels that if e-filed it might go back again to NSC. I do not know what to do. I have insisted that we try and hope that it goes to TSC to receive a fair analysis.

I also told her if she is not willing to do it, I might do the e-filing myself. First I will see if TSC is the address to which I have to send my documents. If yes, I am lucky. If not I might lose another $195. Then, as done by you and many other forum members, when I submit the documents I request for PP. Will that be the right way? Please give your valuable suggestions.

Thank you very much for your kind help.

I strongly feel that you should goahead and do efiling. Your lawyer might be wrong. My attorney also told me the same thing and I insisted him to do that job (ofcourse I paid $500 bucks again for this). Then he did it.

At this point filing NIW will not harm BUT you can do once you efile your EB-1. For NIW the waiting time for India is endless. You grasp the suggestions made by other members too.

The record shows that the petitioner’s area of expertise is the combined field of molecular virology and veterinary medical science. The documents submitted as initial evidence include reference letters written by peers and colleagues, seven of which were written by those who have not worked with him or and personally familiar with him.

I don't get this part. Do they have a problem with independant letters?
My understanding was that one should letters from more independent reviewers than from people who directly worked with you.

How long is it taking for EB2-NIW I-140 application at TSC - anyone?

In our original application, we submitted 9 letters (7 independent) - Two from UK (independent), Two from US pharma/vaccine companies (independent), One from advisor, One from known faculty, Three (independent) from other renowned US researchers. In the RFE, we submitted 5 letters (4 independent) including one from a National Academy of Science Member. Still this result.

Credentials:

US Ph.D. 2005, DVM (2000 - from India)
22 publications (6 international journals - 4 first author)
40+ citations (I included articles, dissertations, theses, presentation, grant proposals etc. that refer to or discuss my work)
8 presentations (5 in the US - one award-winning; one invited talk in an international symposium in Germany)
32 medals/awards from India during my undergrad
4 fellowship/scholarship from US during grad studies
2 awards from American association (For one - only two people throughout US are given; for the second - only one person throughout US)
1 award from a big multi-national pharma company
1 research grant PI, one research grant (NIH - $4.4 million Co-PI)
1 Invention disclosure
2 pending grants (co-PI in both)
30+ media reports (some of them describing my awards in the US, some of them describing my/my team's research)
Reviewer for one journal - close to 10 reviews till date
20 GenBank submissions (first time genome sequences)

We claimed 5 criteria (reviewer, contributions, media reports, awards (minor), publications). Still did not work.

That is why I am trying to do the efile as done by many of our friends. Thank you all for your valuable inputs. I appreciate them. Now I have to convince my lawyer before I do that with the adjudicating USCIS officer.

Eb!

dgrajan,
I didnot understand this statement...
this google search was done by you or by them..!!

"The record also shows that the petitioner has won numerous academic accolades at the graduate and undergraduate levels in both the United States and in India, this was further underscored by a printout from an internet search performed on November 15, 2006 at google.com, a search which resulted in showing predominately articles relating the petitioner’s receiving these accolades."

In our original application, we submitted 9 letters (7 independent) - Two from UK (independent), Two from US pharma/vaccine companies (independent), One from advisor, One from known faculty, Three (independent) from other renowned US researchers. In the RFE, we submitted 5 letters (4 independent) including one from a National Academy of Science Member. Still this result.

Credentials:

US Ph.D. 2005, DVM (2000 - from India)
22 publications (6 international journals - 4 first author)
40+ citations (I included articles, dissertations, theses, presentation, grant proposals etc. that refer to or discuss my work)
8 presentations (5 in the US - one award-winning; one invited talk in an international symposium in Germany)
32 medals/awards from India during my undergrad
4 fellowship/scholarship from US during grad studies
2 awards from American association (For one - only two people throughout US are given; for the second - only one person throughout US)
1 award from a big multi-national pharma company
1 research grant PI, one research grant (NIH - $4.4 million Co-PI)
1 Invention disclosure
2 pending grants (co-PI in both)
30+ media reports (some of them describing my awards in the US, some of them describing my/my team's research)
Reviewer for one journal - close to 10 reviews till date
20 GenBank submissions (first time genome sequences)

We claimed 5 criteria (reviewer, contributions, media reports, awards (minor), publications). Still did not work.

That is why I am trying to do the efile as done by many of our friends. Thank you all for your valuable inputs. I appreciate them. Now I have to convince my lawyer before I do that with the adjudicating USCIS officer.

Dgrajan,

Sorry to hear the bad news...

But after I saw your qualifications I simply don't understand how your petition could be denied :confused: . Was there something wrong with your cover letter? I understand that they don't take into account graduate fellowships, but why didn't they mentioned the other awards you got. From their denial letter I thought that you only claimed the student awards.

I think this denial is totally unfair, and I strongly encourage you to e-file as soon as possible. By the way, there was someone on this forum who also mailed his paper-based application directly to TSC, and it was processed there. They did not forward it to NSC. As they did not forward my and tipotodo's I-485/I-765/I-131 applications. We don't know how long this would last so try to convince your lawyer.

Good luck and hope to hear the good news soon!:)

Hi, first time post my message here, but I've been reading a lot.
I am thinking E-file too, but questions:
1. After efile, where should I mail the documents? On the website, it says "mail it to the address provided on the Confirmation Receipt notice". Does that mean most people got "TSC"?
2. If efile, we can't concurrent file, right?
3. Can I efile and paper file to NSC at the same time?
4. If efile, can we PP as well?

Thanks a million!

some suggestions

I'm very sorry to see such a strong case got turned down at NSC, and as far as I can see this is totally unfair. However, after reading people's response I felt that maybe all of us ignored sth in NSC' letter:

"The record shows that he has several favorable cited published articles, has participated in conferences and the peers-review process, and that his expertise has been sought by other, but the petitioner has not presented evidence of receipt of a major international award. In the alternative, the record does show evidence of international acclaim in form of published articles and judging the work of other, which is short of the requisite three of the regulatory criteria. C.F.F. 204.5(h)(3)."

Apparently, NSC admitted that dgrajan has met two criteria in 204.5(h)(3). They're also clear why they're turning this down: "the petitioner has not presented evidence of receipt of a major international award." In other words, they're looking for 3 criteria, and they consider that the (only) other one dgrajan claimed is "receipt of a major international award." But this is not true; dgrajan has claimed also "contributions" and "media reports" and has strong evidence to back them up. (Especially there're 30+ media reports!) In my opinion, NSC has misjudged the case because they didn't consider the other criteria dgrajan meets. Did dgrajan write clearly in the cover letter, in exactly the same wording as in law, the criteria that you're claiming? Maybe this case is worth appealing to AAO? I don't know how much trouble and work that is, just suggesting this possibility as judged from the petition and NSC letter. Naively, I think as long as dgrajan can prove that the 30+ media reports are in "major media," this decision can be overturned as NSC has approved the other two criteria he claimed. Maybe, the appealing can be done in parallel to e-fling at TSC?

Just to answer a few questions regarding e-filing others raised:

1. After e-filing they will give you an (TX) address where to mail the supporting documents. You should mail all your stuff to this addr. including all concurrently filed applications.

2. You can concurrently file 485, EAD, 131, PP etc. with the e-filed 140. You can mail everything in a large package to the same TX addr. To avoid confusion, should probably include a first page explaining clearly what applications you're filing.

However as TSC starts to become overloaded I wonder if how long the advantage of filing to TSC can last. I suspect it'll become as nasty as NSC, sooner rather than later.

Best of luck!