Easier to renew TN at border or airport?

gtrekker2003

Is it easier or better to renew a TN at the Peace Bridge border near Buffalo or Toronto Pearson airport?

Also, if denied once, could I just try at another border on the same day? Or would it not be worth it?

gtrekker2003

In my experience, I always go to the Buffalo crossing and apply there. I have never had any problems there, and sometimes, even when there is a big line (4 hours min. wait), they have taken all of the TNs first!!! I loved it!

I personally wouldn't do Pearson (although others do it all the time) because I wouldn't want to miss my flight if I had an issue. I find it easier to drive a few hours to Buffalo to get it done.

It depends why you may have been denied. If you didn't have the paperwork ready, or the appropriate letters etc. then you wouldn't be approved no matter how many different places you tried. I don't know how their systems update, but I suspect they would know (plus they should see the denial in your passport if they look) that you were denied. It would take a sympathetic officer and a good bit of convincing to get it after being denied the same day! I was denied at a MX poe about 5 TN's ago, and am still questioned about it a lot! Anytime I cross the border they see the flag on the computer and question me! Good luck! Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Peace Bridge has always worked for me. Three times of 7 or 8 TNs. My Pearson experience was fine, but that was 5 years ago.
Once I tried the bridge in Niagra (Whirlpool I think??) and had problems because the TN guy was not there. I asked if I could go to another border, they said sure, and drove to the North Niagra border, Ft Erie is it?, no problems. Ft Erie has a nice wait room, but, bad news if it ever fills up.

Best borders are Canadian/US Borders with Canadian airports a close second. I have been successful at Miami and Atlanta and Nassau airports, but, TNs are rare to these agents, and it takes longer.
Good luck, paperwork in order and honesty and patience...should not be a problem.

If your paperwork is an issue just ask if you can withdraw the application, what the exact issue(s) is/are with the application, fix it then apply a different day with the corrected application.
You need to be aware that they may require you to actually be reporting to work the same day so a Friday or weekend attempt may fail. It would not be a denial just withdraw the application and return on a weekday.
I say "may" because on the WA/BC border they are not processing any TN's if you are not reporting to your place of work that day. I have no idea if this rule is in place all across the Northern border or if it's just specific to WA State/BC crossings.

Last edited by a moderator:
TN-1 renewal

I had been getting TN's (12 total) for 9 years.
I only had a paperwork problem my first TN at a Vermont/Quebec crossing, I corrected the problem and returned the next day.
I was turned away at the Detroit bridge 2 years ago because the TN officer went home, I crossed the next day at Erie (the south crossing is Erie and in the morning it is not very busy inside)
Out of 4 land crossings I had 2 bad experiences. (Vermont and Detroit bridge -I heard afterwards to never take the bridge)
The only problem I had at Pearson (out of 8 apearances for a TN at Pearson (at old T1, T2 and T3)) was at Xmas time with students returning to school in the US and I didnt leave enough time to make my flight (advice: get to the airport 3 hours or more early.)
If your paperwork is in order there is no reason to fear the Pearson airport office or the niagara crossings.