EAD, school, in-state

jian42

Registered Users (C)
My wife is currently waiting on her AOS (RD 02/02) and EAD (RD 09/03).

She is also applying to go to UMass Boston next Spring. But she was told that she had to have EAD before she can be admitted.

Is that true? If EAD is required, can we apply for an emergency EAD (if there is such a thing) at the Boston office?

I do not believe I am willing to pay another $120 just because VSC is dragging its feet on the cases.

Also, just in case any of you have the same experience, we are confused if she could be admitted as an in-state student. I have been living in MA for the last seven years, and I got my green card early this year in January. We contacted the school, but got conflicting responses.

Thank you.

Each office and each person in the office will tell you a different story. This is my experience........

The basic requirement for in-state tuition is living in the state for one year. Since you are here 7 years you must have filed your returns in MA. This proof will allow your wife to claim in-state tuition fees. I am assuming you are filing a joint return with your wife.

Also, you have proof that your wife has applied for her GC over a year ago and she may also have a drivers liscence. This proof must be given to the college for them to determine in-state students.

All one needs is legal status in the country for admissions. One does not need an EAD. The very fact they ask for it shows how illiterate the staff in US colleges are.

There is no "Emergency EAD".
There is a document called iEAD (Interim EAD) which can be granted if you didnot get your EAD card even after 90 days from the RD of the EAD app.

Iam not sure why the school is insisting on an EAD.
You can be admitted while on H4 visa. You may have to use the ITIN in lieu of SSN.

Best, double check with the school regarding why they require an EAD for admission.

good luck.

Thank you

Thank you for your information.

About the EAD requirement, my understanding is that since my wife is not on H-4, she has to get the EAD in lieu of an F-1 visa. I realize this is a justification I make for them after the fact that they have put the requirement on the table.

My wife was asked for EAD too!

When my wife applied here, she was asked for her EAD card. They also wanted the I-485 receipt notice. Maybe to ensure that we are here legally and are not planning anything stupid(?)

By the time, her college started, we got the approval and used the approval notice!

You don't need EAD to get admission, just I-485 receipt notice will be fine. I think, you need either green card stamped or card for in-state fee. In your case may be they will give in-state status on EAD & SOC SEC NO.

I have same situation in other school for my son. They gave admission as international student and they are asking Green card I-551 stamped or actual plastic card to get in-state status for fee.

Originally posted by jian42
My wife is currently waiting on her AOS (RD 02/02) and EAD (RD 09/03).

She is also applying to go to UMass Boston next Spring. But she was told that she had to have EAD before she can be admitted.

Is that true? If EAD is required, can we apply for an emergency EAD (if there is such a thing) at the Boston office?

I do not believe I am willing to pay another $120 just because VSC is dragging its feet on the cases.

Also, just in case any of you have the same experience, we are confused if she could be admitted as an in-state student. I have been living in MA for the last seven years, and I got my green card early this year in January. We contacted the school, but got conflicting responses.

Thank you.

Originally posted by vashi17
Each office and each person in the office will tell you a different story. This is my experience........

The basic requirement for in-state tuition is living in the state for one year. Since you are here 7 years you must have filed your returns in MA. This proof will allow your wife to claim in-state tuition fees. I am assuming you are filing a joint return with your wife.

Also, you have proof that your wife has applied for her GC over a year ago and she may also have a drivers liscence. This proof must be given to the college for them to determine in-state students.

All one needs is legal status in the country for admissions. One does not need an EAD. The very fact they ask for it shows how illiterate the staff in US colleges are.
Vashi17 is correct - I had the same experience. One has to prove valid legal status - I-485 receipt should be fine. EAD will allow her to work on campus. Threaten to sic your lawyer on them if they tell you otherwise. These morons in admissions offices were rebuked by Ashcroft's thugs after the infamous student visa incident with the 9-11 hijackers and hence the rapid increase in stupidity.

Thank you for your replies. It's nice to learn from someone having the same experience. I really appreciate that.

I think we will just go ahead and submit the application with the best paperwork we can provide. Who knows, if the staff in VSC are not planning to have too much fun during the holiday seasons, maybe we can get her GC before school starts!

Thanks!