EAD Renewal

kilaru

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I'm a new member here and I have been a silent member since 2 years here. My EAD is expiring in the first week of November, 2003. Can anybody suggest me of when it is the right time for me to apply for renewal?

My Details:
I-485

RD: 09/26/2002
ND: 10/09/2002
EAD: 11/05/2002, expires - 11/05/2003
FP: 11/15/2002
LIN: LIN-03-007-xxxxx

Appreciate your help.

Regards :)

If you are working on the basis of your EAD, then you should make sure that you apply for the renewal by the first week of August. This will ensure that even if does not get processed by the time your current EAD expires, you can approach the local INS offices and request a temporary EAD on the basis of the three month elapse guideline.

On the other hand, if you are working on the basis of an approved H-1B petition, you can afford to be more relaxed about applying for the EAD renewal, as in this case the EAD simply serves to keep you eligible to seek alternate employment in the event of a lay-off or termination.

Of-course, the fickle nature of all these rules means that you should stay on the look-out for any future changes that may impact EAD renewals.

Hello Sankrityayan,

Thanks for your reply. I'm working on EAD right now. Since I'm working on EAD, I think my H1-B gets cancelled automatically (assuming, not quite sure). Also my H1-B expires in August, 2003, since my 6 years have elapsed. So, my only option is EAD. So, I will make sure that I will apply the EAD renewal in the last week of July or the first week of August.

Thanks again

Kilaru :)

Yes

My EAD will expire only in Sept 2003, but my lawyer (through company) already applied for renewal in April

There are 2 points here:

1. You can apply for EAD 6 months before it expires. BCIS now encourages that since their lead times in many cases is that long. After 90 days you can get an interim EAD from a field office. If you are from an NSEERs country I’d suggest you apply for one now. I have a 765 petition that’s been pending since December.
2. If your H1B is expiring after 6 years and you have and I485 petition, I think you can continue to get it extended in increments of 1 year until your AOS is adjudicated. If you are working for the company on and H1, merely having an EAD should not invalidate your Visa.

Rgds,
sadiq

6 months in advance

To be safe, apply EDA 6 months in advance. This is the policy of our company now.

Kilaro,
You have to be careful!! and I mean it. Aplly at least 4 months before it expires; i.e., they should have your papers (in their office) at least 110-120 days before your EAD expires. Otherwise you are risking it renewal on time. Also make sure that your application is complete and you send all the documents they need. Be very careful with them and do NOT leave it to your attorney if s/he is doing that for you. I have a friend who has been waiting for almost 5 months. He got an RFE almost in 86th day after he applied. Then he couldn't get it renewed in local office because of the RFE. He cannot work because he doean't have any EAD.
I don't want to make you nervous but this is what I have obsereved.
wr,aghajan

Thanks aghajan

I am applying my renewal of EAD by end of this month to be on the safe side. Another question, if I get my approval by August or September, will they issue my renewal from August or September or November. My current EAD expires on 11/05/2003.

Also can somebody tell me what all documents we need to apply for the renewal of the EAD and can we apply on our own skipping the lawyer just for this renewal of EAD?

PD 09/26/2002
ND 10/09/2002
Fingerprints 11/15/2002
Regards

Last edited by a moderator: