EAD Renewal

usworker

Registered Users (C)
My EAD expires on 22 July, 2008
I am going to file for EAD renewal and just realized that this needs to be done 6 months before expiration of original EAD. Due to long weekend etc, my application will get in on Jan 22nd. Will this be acceptable. Does anyone see a problem with my scenario?

Thanks

You don't particularly need to send it 6 months in advanced. It is generally advised that you send it 3 months before it expires, but it's probably better to give yourself a few additional weeks beyond that. 6 months is probably overkill. So don't worry. I gave myself 4 months and am not worried at all.

I am going to file for EAD renewal and just realized that this needs to be done 6 months before expiration of original EAD. Due to long weekend etc, my application will get in on Jan 22nd. Will this be acceptable. Does anyone see a problem with my scenario?

Thanks

Where does it say you can apply EAD 6 months prior to expiration of current one?

Where does it say you can apply EAD 6 months prior to expiration of current one?

On the USCIS website , click on "Services & Benefits " and also click on " Employment Aythorization' , and there you'll find the " ... 6 months before the expiration ..." . Hope this will help !!!;)

Thanks

If you did applied allready , you are OK , nothing to worry !!! But if you did not , i think that it is better to file 4 month before expiration to be on the safe side , just make sure that you complete the aplication properly , so you do not have to go thru any RFEs later , wich will delay the processing !!!:)

If you did applied allready , you are OK , nothing to worry !!! But if you did not , i think that it is better to file 4 month before expiration to be on the safe side , just make sure that you complete the aplication properly , so you do not have to go thru any RFEs later , wich will delay the processing !!!:)

Would like to mention yesterday we received the renewed EAD cards with renew date of 21 Jan 08 to 20 Jan 09. My old cards were expiring on 4 Apr 08 and I applied Nebraska on 14 Nov 07. With this we loose 2.5 months earlier renewal.
Now next when we apply again 6 months in advance by 20 July 08 and if they get renewed by Sept-oct 08 we loose another 2.5-3 months. we pay double the renewal fee of $ 340 compared to earlier fee of $ 180 and we get reduced term of 9.5 months EAD card on renewal.

anyone experiencing similar will appreciate posting. As suggested below please apply 90 days in advance for safe side.

I would say apply now.
All my previous renewals came within 3 months. However I do not understand why this time around it has been over 3 months and I have not recd the renewals.
I am worried now. I still have 2 months to go before my EAD expire so I am going to start contacting people now.

I applied too late - did I mess it up??

My EAD expires on March 28, 2008 - I applied for a renewal, the receipt date of which is Jan 03, 2008.

If my EAD fails to arrive prior to March 28, 2008, what does it mean for me? Does it make my stay in the country illegal? What can I do to remedy the situation?

Please help.

Thanks,
-Abdallah

My EAD expires on March 28, 2008 - I applied for a renewal, the receipt date of which is Jan 03, 2008.

If my EAD fails to arrive prior to March 28, 2008, what does it mean for me? Does it make my stay in the country illegal? What can I do to remedy the situation?

Please help.

Thanks,
-Abdallah
Hi
EAD is work permit. depending upon your employer he may allow or may ask you to take a leave and return once you get renewed ead card. you can go for info pass before expiry date and request their help. if they see approval online they can issue temporary card there and then. good luck.

EAD & Travel

My EAD expires in Aug,2008. So, based on 4 month timeframe, I am planning to apply for the renewal in May. However, I need to go to India in June. My AP expires in Sept and I plan to use it for my travel. My question is:

1) Do I need to stay in the country till my EAD is approved?

My EAD expires in Aug,2008. So, based on 4 month timeframe, I am planning to apply for the renewal in May. However, I need to go to India in June. My AP expires in Sept and I plan to use it for my travel. My question is:

1) Do I need to stay in the country till my EAD is approved?

No, contrary to popular belief on this forum, EAD has absolutely nothing to do with travel and, as long as you are in the US when you apply, there is nothing that tells you that you cannot make a trip abroad while it is pending.

Hi
EAD is work permit. depending upon your employer he may allow or may ask you to take a leave and return once you get renewed ead card. you can go for info pass before expiry date and request their help. if they see approval online they can issue temporary card there and then. good luck.

Suresh,
Thanks a lot for your response.

jk0274 and apol gave exactly the same reply that you did, in a separate thread that I posted here:

http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?p=1858642&posted=1#post1858642

Thanks to all of you.

-Abdallah

Please help.

Thanks,
-Abdallah
No, You're legal: AOS is independent of EAD. You can travel, but if you don't have visa (which i assume you don't, since you're on EAD) you'll need advance parole to reenter

read this:
02/04/2008: USCIS to Deny EAD Renewal Applications Filed Longer Than 120 Days Before Expiration

AILA has reported that it received a notice from the USCIS that any EAD renewal application which were received on or after 01/29/2008 that was filed more than 120 days from the date of expiration would be "denied" for filing too early. We need clarification, though, as to whether the consequences will be "denial" rather than "rejection." Considering the fact that the filing fee is expensive, if it is denial, the filers will lose the filing fees paid. Please stay tuned for the clarification.

I e-filed on Jan 30th and it did not mention the 120 day rule anywhere. The rule was stated only for AP renewal. I got my receipt notice for me & my spouse and current EADs expire in July 08. Does it mean our EAD renewal will get denied and we loose $680? Where did USCIS state this rule earlier?

There is no such thing as "AP renewal". Employment authorization can be renewed because 1- there is a checkbox for 'renewal' on form I-765 and 2- one needs to maintain employment without a gap. AP is not 'renewable' per se, you just apply for another one if your first one is expired or will expire. As such, there is no 120-day renewal guideline for AP that I can find.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no such thing as "AP renewal". Employment authorization can be renewed because 1- there is a checkbox for 'renewal' on form I-765 and 2- one needs to maintain employment without a gap. AP is not 'renewable' per se, you just apply for another one if your first one is expired or will expire. As such, there is no 120-day renewal guideline for AP that I can find.

I am not concerned about I-131 renewal. But the link to it is http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD and at the bottom it states as follows:
Filing Period for Renewal of an Advance Parole Document:
If you are applying for renewal of your advance parole document (I-512L or I-512), USCIS will accept and adjudicate Form I-131 filed up to 120 days before the date your current Advance Parole document expires

My concern is on the I-765 renewal and when I filed there was no mention of the 120 day rule for I-765 renewal.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=1847c9ee2f82b010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

THis for the EAD renewal and has been there since Jan 29th as per previous posts on this forum.
I too apllied for my EAD renewal in OCTOBER and at that time it was 180 days.
They changed it pretty recently.
I know it is frustrating but this the way USCIS works

Thanks for the link Al_aos.
Anyone knows what USCIS will do with this. I have the receipt notice. If they reject, will I get my filing fees refunded? Will it affect when I apply for next renewal? What action must I take?