EAD Renewal experince at Newark, NJ

Bapu

Registered Users (C)
EAD Renewal at local INS, NEWARK, NJ.

Direction & Parking: (From NJ South) 21 North, Left on E.Kenny road. Before you reach to broad street the parking lot is on right hand side next to the backside of INS building. $8 parking fees. There are lot of parking lots behind the INS building on Marlburry road.

AT INS:
Reached at 7:00. There were two lines one for with appointment and another for without appointment. Line without appointment was very long. (Note : Wednesday only with appointment). We have to stand in no appointment line. At 8:30 we went inside the building. At 9:00 officer at reception called us. I told her about EAD renewal and also mentioned that 90 days passed. She looked at the receipt of EAD renewal, count the number of days from the RD. She asked whether I had called NSC to find out whether it is approved or not. She asked us to give the form 765. (Which we had kept ready. Downloaded from internet). She sent us to room 334 with ticket attached to our papers (form 765 & receipt of EAD renewal). At room 334 we gave the papers to receptionist. He took the paper and asked us to wait in the room. There were many people waiting there. Officer called us after 45 minutes. Asked us which center we had applied for renewal. I told him NSC. He asked for our passport. He show the passport and gave us back.Then he asked us to go back and wait. After 15 minutes he called again and asked which company I worked for. I told the name of the company. He asked me to show the approved I140. I did not have the copy of approved I140. I told him that I do not have with me but I can show him I485 receipt. He did not want to see I485 receipt and insisted on approved I140. He asked us to wait again for 10 minutes. By this time we were very nervous. After 10 minutes he called back us and asked us that who is our lawyer. I told him about my lawyer. He asked me to asked my lawyer to fax approved I140. He also said that there is Office depot near by and I can go there and receive the fax. He said that he will be there till 4:30 and I can go back to him directly. I called my lawyer from outside. My lawyer was surprised why do they want I140. He said I485 receipt and EAD receipt should be enough. Anyway He fax me the copy of I140. We took the fax back to the officer. He took the I140 and asked us to wait again. By this time I was very nervous and was wondering what is wrong. He came back in 10 minutes gave me my original receipt of EAD and I140 back to me and asked me to wait again. After half an hour another lady call me and my wife. Took picture and finger prints. EAD was ready in 10 minutes. We were out at one o’clock.. We did not pay any fees.

ISSUE:
My previous EAD was expired on June. New EAD was not back tracked. It was valid from the date of issue.

USEFUL INFO:
1) Behind the INS building on Marlburry road there is a coffee shop where you can use restroom if you are waiting outside. Of course you have to spend a dollar for coffee.
2) At the side of the coffee shop there is place where you can use Xerox, Receive fax or get INS photo. I think the shop is owned by Indian. This is the place where my lawyer fax me the copy of I140.
3) On broad street. I.e front of the INS building lot of shops are there for food, xerox, phot etc.
4) Do not forget to keep the water and some food with you.

MY INFO
PD: 3/98
485 RD : 6/22/00
485 ND : 6/23/00
FP :1/16/01
RFE for wife (Medical) on 7/6/01
MY case AVM still says 370 days………

EAD Renewal RD: 4/13/01, ND:4/25/01. (90 days counted from RD)

Hope this helps someone who wants to get the EAD at local INS office.