EAD question - experts please help

rpc

Registered Users (C)
Hell friends,

One of my friends wife is likely to get a job offer soon. Her EAD expires 12/18/02. She just applied for extension today. Once she gets the reciept notice, can she join the job before 12/18/2002. And continue to work even though the EAD is expired, since she has applied for extension.

Best Regards
RPC

I don't belive it is true with EAD

As per the info from this forum, the EAD expires on the date of expiry if not renewed by that date. For H1-B and H4, I am sure the filing is just needed pending aproval.

Better to consult the lawer.

You can also try to find if you can get EAD by going to local ins office. Some do, others don't. Boston does it. Check www.ins.gov to see if your local field office allows walk-ins.

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64055&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

check out this thread. it talks about what a current employer would do if the existing EAD expires. most employers need to see the EAD card and the EAD notice/receipt does not work. so i am assuming that any employer would not let her join until she has a valid EAD. in you friend's wife case it is cutting close. for instance she can legally join on 12/1 with her existing EAd but then the question will be what happens when that expires and the new one does not come. the employer may terminate her and then take her back the new EAD comes. she needs to talk with the new employer. if they are expressing concern, a safer bet would be to wait for the new EAD and then join. but you need to know how flexible the employer is.

Thank you

Dear friends/ well wishers,

I appreciate your info on this topic, I will pass on these details to my friend.

Best Regards to all,
RPC