EAD expires next week- Renewal not yet approved. What to do?

vidongre

Registered Users (C)
Guys please advise. RD for EAD renewal is 11/14/2002. But it's not yet approved. I'm working on EAD and it's expiring on 01/20/2003. What should I do? What are my options? Please help!

Hi vidongre

I remember u though I-140 forum. We applied for 485 in same week.
Now, our EAD expires in same week too. How come u r too late in applying for renewal?
I filed my renewal in Oct-23 with ND of Oct-29,2002. still not approved. I talked to IIO's couple fo times. They now suggesting me to go for Interim EAD after 90 days of filing. I will get a gap of 9 working days if i wait till 90 days are completed, but i don't wait also LOCAL INS is not gonna give interim EAD before 90 days. It's all mess...
I will talk to HR soon.
You better contact you HR dept soon and see what they say! Some companies won't object to work when u r renewal is pending.
Good luck.

All

IT depends on the company.My company wants me on "Leave without Pay " for about 13 days till the 90 days of filing renewal.

Chapter 11

Thanks vinnu and chapter11

I guess 11/14/2002 is the ND of my EAD renewal application. I shall talk to HR and see what the scene is! This is getting so frustrating!!!

Read this

I found this from somewhere in internet. Thought useful to you guys too.

Here are the options.

In strict interpretation of the law, one should not work with out a valid unexpired EAD in hand.

But I have heard various options and alternative I am listing here. Even lawyers differed on this and so don't take this as legal advice. Talk to *Your* lawyer, (not the companies) to get the best course of action for *You*.

1) Safest alternative: Talk to your employer and stop working till you get your new EAD. Expired EAD will not allow you to work, but you can still stay in the country legally after filing I485 so you don't have to leave the country and you are not doing anything illegal. The down side is, you will lose your source of income during this time.

2) Safest alternative: Get a letter from both employer and your Lawyer detailing the situation and how you are needed at your work by your employer. Take the letters with all the necessary documents and go to the local INS and request for a temporary EAD. It depends on your luck. They may or may not give you one, they are not required to give you one but you may get lucky.

3) Risky alternative: Just keep working, and hope that Service Center will back date your EAD. (Previously, TSC and another service center used to bridge the validity dates on EADs, like if your old one expired on 1/15 and they issued a new one on 3/15, they would put the start date on the card as 1/16 instead of 3/15.) Again there is no way you can make them do this. It depend on your luck.

4) Risky alternative: Work with out EAD till you get your new one. Hope you will get new one before 183 days of the old one expiring. The you won't be subject to 3 year ban of INS decides to come after you for illegal work. You probably have to use 245i and pay the 1000 dollar fine if they send an RFE and really look into your case.

5) Worst case senario: Work with out EAD. You don't get new one for more than 183 days. Then you will be subject to 3 year entry ban *IF* you leave the country before your I485 is approved. As long as you don't leave the country, you can still use 245i and pay the 1000 dollar fine to get out of trouble.

These are just my thoughts. Seek competent legal advise. I am not a lawyer.

Good luck and hope things work out for you.

Here r my EAD Renewal details

Vindongre,

Even i remember you from my I-140 days( Jan/Feb 02 I-485 filer).

Received my and mywife EAD renewal cards today.

RD 11/18/02
ND 11/27/02
AD 12/27/02

Cards mailed by INS on Jan 08 but i received today.

:cool:

Nov140sagc

rd 01/2x/02
nd 02/07/02

Thanks a lot ksv for the great ideas!!!

My RD for EAD renewal is 11/06/2002. I am planning to try option #2 before trying #1. But for that I have a lot of talking and explaining to do with HR. Shall keep you guys posted!

Again, Thanks a lot!

Thank God - EAD renewals are approved!

Mine and spouse'd EAD renewals were approved on 01/15 and 01/16 respectively. Our AP renewal is also approved.
So I guess I don't have to try any of the above options. What a relief !!! Now awaiting 485 approval...

Goodluck to all who're waiting for EAD renewal.

My EAD had expired on Dec-17-2002. I had sent in my renewal app On Oct-23-2002. The EAD renewal app was approved on Jan 3rd-2003.

I spoke to the HR dept around Dec-10-2002 and they asked me to go unpaid leave till my renewal came through. Since my renewal did not come by Dec-17, I went on unpaid leave.

As soon as I saw the on-line stat msg of approved, I showed it to HR people and they let me resume from Jan 6-2003.

Now two days ago I recd my EAD card, it has effective date as Dec-18-2002 (not Jan 6-2003). As a result of this, at least there is no gap from INS standpoint. Yes I did lose the pay.

Hope this helps.

AppType EAD renewal
Center : VSC
MD : 10/23/2002
RD : 10/24/2002
ND: 10/29/2002
AD :01/03/2003