EAD expired? Do not worry.

almost_free

Registered Users (C)
I was very nervous when I read a post a month ago that there is no one day EAD renewals in Boston anymore and rushed to renew mine since it was going to expire in two weeks.
My wife renewed hers a day before her old one expired.
Last Friday when I stopped by HR to present them my new EAD, they did not even look at it and did not bother to make a copy.
My wife employer is silent as well.

Conclusion - employers have no system in place to flag EAD expiration nor they are interested in confronting employee with request to present renewed document.

If your EAD has expired and your employer asked for the new one (meaning you might be laid off in the next round and should be loooking for a job anyway), just drag your feet and buy some time. It may take you a week to read that email, another week to lookup card at home, then tell them you misplaced it, do another search ...

Finally, you will get one with retroactive activation date and can give it to your employer. End of story.

Company to Company

I don't fully agree with you almost_free, I would say it varies from Company to Company. My company asked me more than 3 months before the expiry about the EAD.

Again as you say, there are ways to drag this on..

But I am sure my comp. would have asked to go on a leave of absence, if I didn't have a valid EAD.. :)

Thanks

almost_free

Legally no company can or should emply you without a valid EAD.

So What you are suggesting is pretty much illegal.

I agree with PatienceGC

My wife is taking next semester off(She is teaching atlocalcollege here)
Her HRdepartmentwanted to make sure that she has EAD for whole semester. She did not try to force the issuebecause we areplanning a trip abroad during the same period.

Bottomline...it is illegal to work even for a day on an expiredEAD
We have applied for EAD. Our current EAD expiresin Feb first week

If you work for same employer...

almost_free is true when you work for same employer who filed your I-485.
Regarding beneficiary who uses his/her EAD or if you change employer on EAD then, it is illegal to work without EAD.

3DM

Re: If you work for same employer...

Originally posted by 3DM
almost_free is true when you work for same employer who filed your I-485.
Regarding beneficiary who uses his/her EAD or if you change employer on EAD then, it is illegal to work without EAD.

3DM

Could you please tell us what the source of your information is?

My manager told me that they would have to take me off the payroll until i get the EAD approved. You cannot work for anyone unless you have an EAD.

q week before my EAD card expired, my manager recevied email fro HR and cc it to me about reveriffication of EAD

to patiencegc

My H1 expired on 1st of August 2002 and I am now working on EAD. When I asked my employer does he need any info from me reg my EAD , they gave me this info. I never gave them any info about my EAD. My EAD is valid till March 29th 2003.

Thanks
3DM

3DM,
That is not the case with my company. I have been working for them since F1-OPT. They sponsor my H1B and I-485, but they make it clear that without a valid EAD, they will have to remove me from the payroll. Therefore, they make it mandatory for everyone on EAD to renew at least 3 months before it expires.
I am glad that they have such a policy in place.

GC012002,

I was told by a immigration lawyer that it would be legal to work with the EAD application receipt for the same company for 90 days (after the previous EAD), if the EAD approval does not come in time.

green485