EAD -- Can I work for 2 employers?

akthmps

Registered Users (C)
I am currently on my 2nd year of H1B visa. My I-140 has been approved and I submitted my EB3 I-485 application at the beginning of this month. We also submitted applications for EAD and Advanced Parole with my I-485. I'm a Canadian citizen.

Can someone please explain to me exactly what the purpose of the EAD card is? If I continue to work for my current employer, can I also get a part time job on the weeknds with another employer? I am very confused as to what the benefits of this EAD card are. I'd like to get a part time job for some extra income, providing it's legal to do so with this card.

Thanks,
Aaron

You can use your EAD card to get a part-time job if your first employer permits it. However, once you use your EAD, you will no longer be in H1-B status. This means you will need advanced parole to travel, and you cannot renew your H-1B as you will have abandoned your status (unless otherwise possible). If you use EAD for a second job, you will also have to use the EAD as a basis for your first job as well, since the H-1B is invalid.