EAD and H1 7 year extension - What will happen?

brt96

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,
I got my EAD, but haven't got my H1 7 year extension yet, and my H1 going to expired soon. What will happen if I havent got my H1 extension when my current H1 is expired?. Will my status automatic switch to EAD?.
Any experienced folk or Guru, please....

Thanks

As far as I know, to work on EAD, you need to submit new W-4 to your employer, telling that you are working on EAD from now on.

If you filed for the extension, show the notice of receipt for the extension application to your employer and you can work on H1 for another 240 something days (maybe more than 240 days but no less than that) without EAD. I filed for extension a few days before the old H1 expired, so I know. I have got my extension after 4 months (120 days - much less than 240 days). No need to worry. No need to use EAD in the meantime or you will lose H1 status.

brt96 said:
Hello a
I got my EAD, but haven't got my H1 7 year extension yet, and my H1 going to expired soon. What will happen if I havent got my H1 extension when my current H1 is expired?. Will my status automatic switch to EAD?.
Any experienced folk or Guru, please....

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
stonewall said:
If you filed for the extension, show the notice of receipt for the extension application to your employer and you can work on H1 for another 240 something days (maybe more than 240 days but no less than that) without EAD. I filed for extension a few days before the old H1 expired, so I know. I have got my extension after 4 months (120 days - much less than 240 days). No need to worry. No need to use EAD in the meantime or you will lose H1 status.

Thanks a lot