EAD & AP in Boston... Nice experience

Njie

I went on Dec 27th Thursday to the Boston INS office located in JFK building to apply for my EAD and AP. I am a dependent on my Spouse\'s I-485 process. We both received seperate 485 receipt. But I only went to apply EAD & AP. To reach the place subway is best. When you come out of Govt. Center stop in Green Line, JFK building is just opposite to you, the tall white building.

Since I didn\'t have the money orders and photos with me, I went there around 9AM and went to Sovreign Bank, a block away, 1 Beacon St, to get the money orders EAD-$100 and AP-$95(I have account with them so they took money out of my checking acc and charged $5 for the MOs. There are other bank branches too in the nearby area). It took 15 mins to get the MOs. Then I went to the Kinko copy shop, opposite to JFK building to take photos, another 15 mins. I entered JFK building around 9:30AM. There was a line of around 20 people in the entrance. Then I went to the room E-160. There was another line of around 10 people. So I got in around 9:40AM and got two "E" numbers(EAD and AP) at the door step. The tokens were saying, the wait time estimate for these E numbers was 1Hr 30Mins. Also, there are displays with the current numbers processed. So I went to the cafeteria in the 2nd Floor, had a bagel and a tea.

When I came back after 30 mins or so, the number for E line was close to mine. Here the catch is, if you miss your number you have to get another number and wait in the queue again. I got seated for around 10 Mins.

When my turn came, I went to the designated counter and submitted my papers I-765, I-131, 2+2 photos, 485 receipt copy with the MOs. Unfortunately, the photos I had got damaged because I had written my name in the back with the pencil as per the attorney and the impression got onto the next-next photos. The officer looked at them and said that it\'s not advisable to have them and she asked me to take another set of photos. There is a photo room inside the E-160 room itself. I took the photos in 5 mins. Meanwhile she was processing my applications and approved both. When I went back to the counter she took only 2 Photos for AP only and gave me the 765 approved form with the MO to pay to the cashier in a corner of the room and asked me, after getting the EAD card done in the other corner of the room, to come back to the counter 14 to pick up the travel documents. It took another 45 mins to get the EAD card(they take the photo here as part of EAD) and when I came back to counter 14 my travel documents were ready. There were two sheets with my photos and he said it was for multiple entry.

So I am all done around 12 Noon. The total process took me around 2Hrs 30Mins since I went there at the peak hours. If you have all the required things ready and if you go early around 7AM to 8AM, I think you should be done within 1Hr to 1.5 Hrs. The INS is open from 7AM to 3PM. Here is the link to thier site: http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/fieldoffices/boston/aboutus.htm

Guess I didn\'t bore anyone. Hope my experience helps someone.

-rpgova

Congratulations and thanks for sharing...

I have a question. Did the officer ask you any questions regarding AP? My wife went there to apply EAD a few weeks ago and she saw that there were a few people got rejected when they applied AP. Since we are not planning to do any out country travelling, we didn\'t apply AP. But I am curious as to why the officer rejected those people...What did you put as the reason for travelling? Thanks in advance for your response.

FYI, you can get a money order from the post office and it\'s cheaper.

To El Liu

No questions asked. I also read in this forum that APs are getting rejected. I was also worried. I had the reason saying "applying for AOS as a spouse". I got the AP since I am going to use EAD and if I had an emergency, I didn\'t want to wait for getting this and in worst case if the emergency comes on friday or weekend.

To WaitingForVSC485. My case details...

I don\'t think that is true. If you have the 485 receipt, you can get the EAD and AP whenever you want. Here are my case details...
rpgova "Receipt/EAD Tracker NOVEMBER - 2001." 12/28/01 2:05pm

Went on 12/31/01, Had nice Experiance as well

Hi
I went on 12/31/01 to get AP and EAD.
They did not even ask for my passport.
It was like going to the bank and opening an account.

I was the easiest INS / Visa related experiance I ever had.
All the agents were nice and polite.

It took 4 hours, but no tension, no problems

i went there on 12/07

we were there at 5:30 in the morning like a freaking maniac.
needless to say, we were the first ones "in line".
We were the only one standing there for about 30 minutes.
Then came another crazy fella and after another 20 minutes people started to show up rapidly. in huge numbers. By 7AM when the door was about to be opened the line was pretty long. At least 50 folks.
I had all papers, checks and photos ready.
they do their own photos(free), so photos were returned to me.
I didn\'t get the AP because I didn\'t have a date of travel.
when asked "when do you leave US" i said "i don\'t have a date yet".
so she said "no AP for you today then. you need to have a date in the next 3 months when you apply for AP." I said "OK" because I didn\'t need one anyway.
I got my EAD and was out of there BEFORE 8AM!!!
yeah . . . and most importantly . . .
when she was making EADs she said "check the spelling of your name BEFORE i laminate it, i don\'t want to hear about any misspelling after I\'m done with your EADs". So I checked I my wife\'s EAD very carefully since she really needed one. :)
I didn\'t pay much attention to my card since my name is pretty easy.
of course, my dumb ass was wron again and I got it misspelled.
Since I didn\'t need the card anyway and I certainly didn\'t want to upset the old lady I decided not to fix it. Let it be there forever misspelled (for one year anyway) to remind me of my stupidity.

Other than that, I had great experience.
Then we went to the IRS to get SSN for my wife and had quite another experience, but that\'s another story and I already shared that one :)