• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

dv2013 advice on moving foward

melomey

I've been selected for the lottery visa dv2013 but i do have a legal situation.I overstayed my F1 visa for four years now and I'm working illegally also. I need advice on how to take advantage of the this opportunity.
Can I be able to adjust status here of will I have a better chance to succeed if I go back home for a consular processing ?
how should I fill out the preliminary from 122 and 230 without misrepresenting my answer? as some of the questions on the forms ask about events on my previous stay in the US like when I left and others questions pertaining to my legal status during the stay.
I have in mind on working on the paperwork until I get the notice of my interview then I will go back home to attend my interview. Do you guys think that option will increase my chance of success?
Thanks for reading and taking time to answer me and giving me some advices.

Consular processing maybe a possibility. Be extremely cautious when you fill out the forms. You'd better ask someone to post the documents from your country using A4 size paper (paper in the US is letter size, different size).
Don't send anything before asking an attorney.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't use the diversity lottery to adjust if you're currently in the US illegally. You need to be in the US legally to be able to adjust. Also, once you leave the USA a 10 year ban kicks in since you overstayed by more than a year. Unless you qualify for a waiver from the 10 year ban, you won't be able to use the diversity lottery to get a green card.

Congratulations

I've been selected for the lottery visa dv2013 but i do have a legal situation.I overstayed my F1 visa for four years now and I'm working illegally also. I need advice on how to take advantage of the this opportunity.
Can I be able to adjust status here of will I have a better chance to succeed if I go back home for a consular processing ?
how should I fill out the preliminary from 122 and 230 without misrepresenting my answer? as some of the questions on the forms ask about events on my previous stay in the US like when I left and others questions pertaining to my legal status during the stay.
I have in mind on working on the paperwork until I get the notice of my interview then I will go back home to attend my interview. Do you guys think that option will increase my chance of success?
Thanks for reading and taking time to answer me and giving me some advices.

It is impossible to change your status while still in the U.S but you can go back to your country and do it from there. I was in a similar situation and am back now so I know it it possible. Inbox me.