• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV2007 - UAE/India Winner - Questions (Folks - Please help)

abdulghaniz

Registered Users (C)
Hi

My case# is 2007AS00007XXX. I received the same on June 5. My questions are:

1. I was born in UAE but basically an Indian. UAE doesnt give citizenship and hence I have an Indian passport. I hope this doesnt cause any problems as India is not on the list of eligible countries ?

2. Since I am in USA on dependent visa and my husband is working for an Indian company - I am not sure whether I will be in USA or India when the priority date becomes current (around July 2007). I havent yet sent the set of documents back because I am still deciding whether to do AOS or CP. Will it be a problem if I dont send anything now BUT send the documents (DSP-122 etc...) in early 2007 when I get some visibility ? Will this reduce my chance of getting the visa ?

3. If I send the documents now to KCC with CP option, can I change to AOS if I am still in USA when the priority date becomes current ?

4. Only 1 name is listed in my passport (Indian passport doesnt have first/ last name) as AFIZ. My fathers name is RAHM KHAN. In the DV application I have put my name as AFIZ RAHM KHAN as the application was not allowing just AFIZ. Since last name was compulsory I put my father's name as last name. Will they create a problem for this?

5. I dont work - so do I put 'Home Maker' as the occupation ?

6. Are the list of supporting documents needed same for both AOS or CP option ? Can someone elaborate on this list ?

7. Are the same list of documents needed for my husband and kid who I had also registered when I applied my DV ?

8. Is there any specific format for the police certificate which is required ? Where can I find the format ?

9. Is police certificate needed for the kid ?

10. Do we need the prison certificate ?

11. Will it be a problem if I get the police certificates from UAE and India now (Jun 2006) even though my priority date will be current one year from now ? Since I have to get these documents from UAE and India I was thinking it is best to apply for it now as it may take a long time to get it. But just in case I get it fast - is there some time window before the interview that you have to get these things dated ?

Please clarify
Thanks
AFIZ

I'll try my best, but I do not know the answers to all your questions.

First, you can start by reading a big post I wrote for general info on the DV procedure: http://boards.immigration.com/showt...48&page=1&pp=15

Second, more details for your specific questions:
1) My understanding is that it is the country where you were born. However, the fact that you do not have a passport from your country of birth might raise some issues. Not sure on that, sorry.

2) Well, that depends.
If you choose CP, it's better to send the documents back asap. I did not do it asap as I chose to get married : it may have explained why my interview was 2months after my number had become current.
If you choose AOS, you have to send something to KCC saying you'll go with AOS. But the I485 will only be sent to the Chicago lockbox when your number is current.

3) Usually, people do the opposite. They initially say they'll go with AOS, and then as the deadline approaches, they change it to CP.
In itself, the fact that you will be in the US does not oblige you to go for AOS. You could do CP even if you live in the US ( that's what I did, as well as others ) if you don't mind to take a few weeks off and pay for plane tickets.
As a legal alien in the US, you can choose between CP and AOS.

4) I don't know about that. However, you said you are married. Did you take your husband's last name ?

5) Yes. But do you have a HS diploma ? ( 12 years of education ).

6) Yes. But usually, officers are more thorough for AOS. As you live in the US, you might also be asked for tax returns. Bring anything you think is relevant to your case. ( see my experience post, or my big " general info" post " ).

7) Yes. But your kid might be too young to already have a HS diploma, but the officer can understand that. Same for police certificates : they are required for every location when someone was 16 or older ( but they are required whatever your age if you committed a crime )

8) No.

9) see 7.

10) Depends : for some countries, there are police certificate and court and prison records. For others ( like Frnace ), only the police certificate is available.
See the reciprocity table from travelstate.gov for specific details for your country.

11) You're right : depending on the country, some documents can take a long time to obtain.
However, in most european countries documents have to be less than 3months old. Better check with somebody else here with some experience on the local consulate where you might want to do CP.

Last edited by a moderator:
abdulghaniz said:
Hi

My case# is 2007AS00007XXX. I received the same on June 5. My questions are:

1. I was born in UAE but basically an Indian. UAE doesnt give citizenship and hence I have an Indian passport. I hope this doesnt cause any problems as India is not on the list of eligible countries ?

I wish i can answer that. I'm in a similar situation, the only difference is that my home-land country is on the list as well as my birth Country. Also, like you, i don't have citizenship of my birth country because they don't provide one, but i do have my birth certificate from them.
However, from what i remember, on the actual DV ONLINE application, they ask you about the country of birth AND country of Citizenship (i entered both).
Also, if i remember correctly, when i filled up the I-485, they asked me about country of birth and country of citizenship. I (might be wrong) remember maybe on DSP-122 or the actual I-485, you put the flag country (which is supposed to be the country of citizenship). Please find out for sure and don't take my word for it.
I'm sure they know of such cases. Call KCC and find out exactly how to handle this, or you can call USCIS and ask them about it as well (tell them you're planning to do AOS). Your case is a little complicated because India is not on the list, yet i'm surprised you won if it wasn't on the list. Strange!

5. I dont work - so do I put 'Home Maker' as the occupation ?

i'm a home maker as well. As long as you qualify under Education and can prove that you have assets/can support yourself, i think you should be fine. However, i was told that it's better to find a US citizen or Permenant Resident to sponsor you, and yet i was also told that your husband can do that since he's working... so i'm not sure, i think it all comes down to the person who's going to interview you.

Best of Luck

About Education Details for DSP-122 & Sponsor Details

1. I have a high school diploma and a 3-year bachelor's degree (Bachelor in Commerce). All my certificates are back in my home country. In case I go for AOS - Is it ok if I put approx start/ end dates of the course in the DSP-122 form ? Because off my head I remember the year but not the exact months of start/ end of the course. Will this be an issue ?

2. Regarding the sponsorship. My husband and self are in US since 3 years and though I dont work - we file TAX RETURNS jointly. The name on the tax returns is the same name that I have on my DV form (the full name). And our joint income is shown way above 50K. My husband was suggesting that he add my name to his bank account/s so that they become joint accounts. But I am not sure if this is possible because I dont have an SSN - I have only an ITIN number. But if it is possible - should I do this and will it help ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Joint returns are fine.
My question thought is how come you don't have a SSN ?! You said you are here under dependent visa, thus you have a legal status. If I am not mistaken, you should have been to your local SS office.

You would need to show the originals of all the documents requested. But, you should also have brought copies with you.

I was told that SSN is given only to those people on visas that give work authorization. I dont have work authorization so I only got ITIN number.