• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV winner. Can I do this?

eddy89

Registered Users (C)
I won the DV lottery and given a 6 month visa to enter the USA and get my green card. The thing is I still have one last semester in the University and can't stay abroad for 2 months as I have to attend classes then have my final exams.

My question is, I have a relative who is a US citizen whose address I'm going to use on forms when I enter the US. Can I just go and do all the paperwork then spend a few days in America then go home, and have my relative mail me the green card and social security card when they are delivered to him?

Are there any problems with that? Or I must have my green card with me when I leave the USA and can't leave without it?

Thanks

I won the DV lottery and given a 6 month visa to enter the USA and get my green card. The thing is I still have one last semester in the University and can't stay abroad for 2 months as I have to attend classes then have my final exams.

My question is, I have a relative who is a US citizen whose address I'm going to use on forms when I enter the US. Can I just go and do all the paperwork then spend a few days in America then go home, and have my relative mail me the green card and social security card when they are delivered to him?

Are there any problems with that? Or I must have my green card with me when I leave the USA and can't leave without it?

Thanks

You can do that, many people do. However to be on the safe side have your relative courier rather than mail it, or alternatively you can just ask him to keep it and get it from him when you return - your endorsed (stamped) visa in the passport will act as a green card for re-entry for up to a year (I think it's a year, but certainly will be longer than 2 months).

yes eddy89,you can do that and i am also planning to do that coz i am working in South Africa and i will go,enter the states and get out for few months before going back permanently after sorting out some stuffs