• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV problems

Hello everyone! Apologies as I opened another topic in a wrong section and I already reported it and reopened here!
I have been googling about a possibility of extension regarding the DV immigrant visa and few days of research got me here.
The point is om the past December I have been issued an immigrant visa via the DV lottery. It's due to expire on early june and I had in my plans to move in the US by May for "exploration" before settling definitely in the further 10 months of first entry.
The problem is... I'm living in London and I could be rejected at the border if I may be able to get a flight by May? I have been contacting the US consulate in Naples ( where I obtained the visa ) and the London embassy to ask if it was possible to get an extension or being able to travel beside the recent restrictions. Another point is I'm due to start a divorce in UK, but on my visa it's stated I'm married ( my wife got the visa as well ), by the border I may be asked how come she's not with me? Could I simply tell the truth that she gave up and doesn't want to move in the US anymore? Also if I divorce in UK, would this affect me in future once I settle myself in the US? Thanks!

Ok. So yes you can tell them at the border, if they ask, that you are getting divorced and she won’t accompany you. (Normally I’d say you should notify the embassy so they can reallocate the visa, but they won’t run out of visas this year so that doesn’t really matter.) Getting divorced before or after, wherever, won’t be a problem, as you are the principal applicant.

(i don‘t know what the current status of new immigrants with respect to the travel restrictions are so i can’t answer that bit. Embassy staff are currently only dealing with emergency situations afaik so you may not get an answer from them for a while yet. However, I’d be hopeful that you would be able to travel before your visa expires in June. if you are unable to because of the bans you should be able to get a replacement visa, but you’d have to do medicals and pay the visa fee again.)

Thank you Susie, so it may happen that I get rejected by the border officers if I manage to flight in the US? Also It could happen that the green card takes longer than a month to be delivered? And in the last, you have any idea if once inside I may be able to flight back in UK? Thanks again! Sorry for so many questions!

Thank you Susie, so it may happen that I get rejected by the border officers if I manage to flight in the US? Also It could happen that the green card takes longer than a month to be delivered? And in the last, you have any idea if once inside I may be able to flight back in UK? Thanks again! Sorry for so many questions!

my reading - but i am not a legal expert - is that you will not be allowed to go (you’d probably not be allowed to board if this was the case, rather than turned back at the border). This is what the proclamation says:
...it is in the interests of the United States to take action to restrict and suspend the entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of all aliens who were physically present within the United Kingdom, excluding overseas territories outside of Europe, or the Republic of Ireland during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presiden...persons-pose-risk-transmitting-coronavirus-2/

if you decide you want to try, see if you can fly via Dublin, where (if things are working normally) they have CBP pre-clearance before you fly.

as for the plastic green card, it will likely take longer, but your immigrant visa becomes a temporary green card when you enter. However i think (personal opinion) under current circumstances, flying to just activate the visa and then return is not a good idea. There is so much potential exposure, from others and potentially from you if you are an asymptomatic carrier.
again, hopefully things have calmed down by June and you can go then.

The problem is the visa will expire by the 2nd of june... Ireland is part of the EU so won't change that much if I flight from London or Dublin I guess? Very strange! So I should stay 14 days in Dublin and try to travel in the US with another flight then? Because the problem is I will lose my visa and who knows if they will extend it in the future.

The problem is the visa will expire by the 2nd of june... Ireland is part of the EU so won't change that much if I flight from London or Dublin I guess? Very strange! So I should stay 14 days in Dublin and try to travel in the US with another flight then? Because the problem is I will lose my visa and who knows if they will extend it in the future.
Yes, you're also banned for being present in Ireland in the last 14 days. SusieQQQ is saying that if you go through US preclearance at Dublin or Shannon airports, you will be denied entry before your flight, instead of potentially being denied entry in the US and having to fly back. However, the airline is not supposed to let you check in either way if you are banned, so I don't think there is a difference either way.

Well there are still flights from the UK going in the US ( which is what the consulate in naples told me when I called them and explained the situation )!
So I contacted the embassy in London and they told me that if I need assistance from them to require when normal operations have been resumed.
I know I'm not a US citizen and not a permanent resident yet, but this is a bit unfair

Ao I contacted the consulate in Naples and the CBP and what I have been told by the consulate is:

"Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, the visa cannot be extended. In case you cannot travel before the expiration date, you will need to redo your medical examination and pay all related fees.
We are currently not able to re-issue Diversity Visas due to the Presidential Proclamation. Please monitor our website in the future for more information.
"
And then:

"please continue monitoring the website travel.state gov for updates and in case you cannot travel within the expiration date, you can contact us via email when the travel ban will be removed .As already stated, at the moment we cannot reissue diversity visas."

I finally received an answer from the Border and they answered me:

"Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Information Center.
Travelers who have questions about whether they are subject to, or exempted from, the Proclamation should refer to the Proclamation language, and consult with the U.S. Department of State and the air carrier, as appropriate, in advance of travel to avoid travel disruptions. The decision is up to the airline on whether or not to board a person. Air carriers are directed to contact the Regional Carrier Liaison Group (RCLG) for additional guidance.
"

So basically the consulate may give me another visa if I can't go, but the CBP told me that I can go as it's up to the Air company(?)... So I should try and go anyway? I read that it's possible to flight back ( in UK on my case ) once the stamp has been placed in the passport, so I can get the green card mailed to me from the person who will receive it in the address I stated or it's not longer possible as I have been told? Because I have been told that you can't leave the US until you get the green card!

That is a formula response you got from CBP, not answers to your specific questions. The airline will board or not board you according to its reading of US immigration rules, it is not a guarantee that you will be allowed in once you get to the US. As I already gave you my interpretation of the current rules (the CBP response refers you to the proclamation language) I’m not going to waste time repeating it. But the fact that the embassy (which is Dept of State) tells you they cannot reissue DVs now due to the proclamation language backs up my interpretation.
FYI whoever told you that you can’t leave the US “until you get the green card” apparently doesn’t understand that your immigrant visa becomes a temporary green card valid for a year as soon as it is stamped for entry, so I’d take what they say with a bucket of salt. (Read the sentence at the bottom of the visa.)

Last edited:
That is a formula response you got from CBP, not answers to your specific questions. The airline will board or not board you according to its reading of US immigration rules, it is not a guarantee that you will be allowed in once you get to the US. As I already gave you my interpretation of the current rules I’m not going to waste time repeating it.
FYI whoever told you that you can’t leave the US “until you get the green card” apparently doesn’t understand that your immigrant visa becomes a temporary green card valid for a year as soon as it is stamped for entry, so I’d take what they say with a bucket of salt. (Read the sentence at the bottom of the visa.)

I understand, thanks! What do you recommend me to do then? I really don't want to lose the visa and I'm not very confident regarding the possibilities that the consulate may issue a new one for me when this will be possible! They may find excuses to don't issue a new one as they probably got a very long list now

I understand, thanks! What do you recommend me to do then? I really don't want to lose the visa and I'm not very confident regarding the possibilities that the consulate may issue a new one for me when this will be possible! They may find excuses to don't issue a new one as they probably got a very long list now

i don’t see any option unless you manage to move for at least two weeks to some country not subject to the travel ban. As far as I know most of those are in some form of lockdown on tourists to prevent people from spreading it so I can’t see it’s practical, but its something for you to research,
To be quite frank i think your argument about the embassy looking for excuses not to issue because they probably have a long list doesn’t make sense.

i don’t see any option unless you manage to move for at least two weeks to some country not subject to the travel ban. As far as I know most of those are in some form of lockdown on tourists to prevent people from spreading it so I can’t see it’s practical, but its something for you to research,
To be quite frank i think your argument about the embassy looking for excuses not to issue because they probably have a long list doesn’t make sense.

They could say that I could have been for 14 days in Ireland or other places before going and I didn't go, who knows... The World is full of surprises!

Well, i don’t quite know what to make of your insistence that various US government employees involved with immigration issues will find excuses not to do things or make up stories about where you've been. i find it hard to continue to give any advice in this situation. Good luck.

Well, i don’t quite know what to make of your insistence that various US government employees involved with immigration issues will find excuses not to do things or make up stories about where you've been. i find it hard to continue to give any advice in this situation. Good luck.

Well Susie, my apologies as I didn't mean that the US employees have malicious intent. I'm just concerned regarding the possibility that I may don't get a new DV visa as there are much more cases with the 2020 and 2021 with many people concerned about the future appointments.
Also since the confusion I may being told that I had the chance to go and they won't give me a new one because I didn't go... Because when I phoned them and after I explained the situation with the restriction from schengen and UK, I have been told that there are flights from the UK to the US so it was possible to go.
So from the consulate I have been directed to the CBP and the CBP directed me to the Department of State and the air carrier.
What it's not clear for me is if the suspension is for everyone or is evaluated person by person:

"Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Certain Additional Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting Coronavirus, effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 16, 2020, the entry into the United States is suspended for most individuals, other than United States citizens and lawful permanent residents, who have been physically present within the United Kingdom, excluding overseas territories outside of Europe, or the Republic of Ireland within 14 days of travel to the United States.(...)Travelers who have questions about whether they are subject to, or exempted from, the Proclamation should refer to the Proclamation language, and consult with the U.S. Department of State and the air carrier, as appropriate, in advance of travel to avoid travel disruptions."