• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AFRICA SELECTEE, quick questions.

emmka

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks,
i received notification that i was a selectee for the 2011 program. I'm married and live in Calgary, AB, Canada where i'm a PR, i'm a Ugandan citizen but my spouse is a canadian Citizen.

1. My case number is 2011AF00039***. IS THIS TOO HIGH A NUMBER FOR SELECTION FOR FURTHER PROCESSING for my region?????? What are my chances, generally speaking?

2. I was an F1 student in the USA and left in AUG 2007 (without any immigration issues). I got married and divorced plus had a child while there and the child still lives there with my EX. i owe child support, abt USD 3,500 b'se i wasnt working for over a year after i left the US. WILL THIS BE AN ISSUE at the interview?

PS. The child is listed in the divorce and custody papers(USA) but i dont have a copy of the child's birth certificate and my EX will not provide me with one.

Any pointers will be appreciated since i'm NEW to this forum and NEW to the DV lottery visa process. Helpful threads will also be appreciated.

Hi folks,
i received notification that i was a selectee for the 2011 program. I'm married and live in Calgary, AB, Canada where i'm a PR, i'm a Ugandan citizen but my spouse is a canadian Citizen.

1. My case number is 2011AF00039***. IS THIS TOO HIGH A NUMBER FOR SELECTION FOR FURTHER PROCESSING for my region?????? What are my chances, generally speaking?

2. I was an F1 student in the USA and left in AUG 2007 (without any immigration issues). I got married and divorced plus had a child while there and the child still lives there with my EX. i owe child support, abt USD 3,500 b'se i wasnt working for over a year after i left the US. WILL THIS BE AN ISSUE at the interview?

PS. The child is listed in the divorce and custody papers(USA) but i dont have a copy of the child's birth certificate and my EX will not provide me with one.

Any pointers will be appreciated since i'm NEW to this forum and NEW to the DV lottery visa process. Helpful threads will also be appreciated.

Hi, congratulations!

Sorry, can't answer all your questions but can try.

1. From previous trends, your number looks good. I have attached a file, which shows AF numbers over the last 10 years and should give you some idea of how things move. Only 1 year (2004) would you not have made it.

2. Because your issue was based in the US, I have no idea how it would be treated, but it certainly would be found out - I imagine. I'm not sure if it was a court-based decision, but they will run a check within the US because you have lived there and on a worst case basis it would show up - that is what you have to prepare for. The simplest solution would be to pay the outstandings, and then run a credit check to see if your name comes up in the system.

3. If you paid, then perhaps your ex-wife might be amenable to providing you with a copy of the certificate? Otherwise you may have to consider applying for a copy from within the US because you will need it as all dependants need to be listed even if you are not coming with them (obviously not the case as the child is already in the US).

Apologies if I am being too forthright, I obviously don't know all the facts. You could always go with an immigration lawyer, but they would probably end up charging a similar amount or more to clear the custody amount?

Good luck, hopefully others will provide more feedback based on actual experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, congratulations!

Sorry, can't answer all your questions but can try.

1. From previous trends, your number looks good. I have attached a file, which shows AF numbers over the last 10 years and should give you some idea of how things move. Only 1 year (2004) would you not have made it.

2. Because your issue was based in the US, I have no idea how it would be treated, but it certainly would be found out - I imagine. I'm not sure if it was a court-based decision, but they will run a check within the US because you have lived there and on a worst case basis it would show up - that is what you have to prepare for. The simplest solution would be to pay the outstandings, and then run a credit check to see if your name comes up in the system.

3. If you paid, then perhaps your ex-wife might be amenable to providing you with a copy of the certificate? Otherwise you may have to consider applying for a copy from within the US because you will need it as all dependants need to be listed even if you are not coming with them (obviously not the case as the child is already in the US).

Apologies if I am being too forthright, I obviously don't know all the facts. You could always go with an immigration lawyer, but they would probably end up charging a similar amount or more to clear the custody amount?

Good luck, hopefully others will provide more feedback based on actual experiences.

Thanks alot Bongo1 for your reply. Clears my mind about my number being too high. About the child, the custody papers indicate my EX has sole custody and the Child is a US citizen already so i'll just list it on the forms, child doesnot need any immigration to the US now or later in life. I recently got an FBI clearance letter that showed i have no criminal record so i hope the child support ISNT a biggie but i can truthfully explain to the consular officer if it comes up. Just needed anyone who had kinda the same issue to clarify for me.

Thanks alot Bongo1 for your reply. Clears my mind about my number being too high. About the child, the custody papers indicate my EX has sole custody and the Child is a US citizen already so i'll just list it on the forms, child doesnot need any immigration to the US now or later in life. I recently got an FBI clearance letter that showed i have no criminal record so i hope the child support ISNT a biggie but i can truthfully explain to the consular officer if it comes up. Just needed anyone who had kinda the same issue to clarify for me.

I've never had this experience, just speaking from what I know. You should be ok. Looks like all papers are in order, but you HAVE to mention your prior marriage and any children even if your wife has sole custody. I don't think unpaid child support will disqualify you. MAke sure you have proof all of all the paper work. As far as the Child's Birth Certificate, don't think it'll be an issue since you are not applying for him to immigrate, I'm assuming he/she is already a US citizen.

Thanks for your reply,
rest assured the marriage and child from previous relationship shall be mentioned, both are US citizens btw. The divorce and custody papers are all in order.
I guess i just may as well send back the forms to KCC and deal with the child support issue as time goes by since from previous posts my CN will be current about June 2011 for CP

I hope we will just wait,
After all Gods' timings are the best.
I also have a very high number. 2011AF00052***, but l have always gotten assurance that
it will be current maybe next year may or june.
So don't be discorage emaka, or WHAT DO OTHERS SAY?

hi

Good luck

i dont know much about this, but what i know is, things will be alrigt. just take it easy.

i myself need to ask some questions;

my number is 2011AF00021243. i am married, hold an MBA and have over 5yrs working experience. want to know if i still need an affidavit of support or can sponsor my self. if so, what documents should i present and how much(in US Dollars) should be available in my statement?
looking for advise

I won the DV 2011 and i feel so worried now because it feels like am the last man standing in the list of winners because i see everyone already got their visa ..

My case is critical because i did not receive any package but when i checked online i discovered that i was a selectee and immediately called KCC and was inform to download the forms at dvseletee.state.gov and i did just that and sent it back to KCC then it was confirmed that my case has been processed then i was informed that my interview letter have been sent but again i did not receive the postage until i requested for a copy to be sent to my email box and i got it .

I proceeded for medicals and completed the medical afterwards i proceeded to the police state at alagbon and did my thumb print and certificate.

My interview date from KCC was September 1 but the Nigerian embassy in Nigeria informed me that i have been re-scheduled for September 2.

What is my fate ? do you think its late for me to proceed ? what are my chances that i would be selected having come so late.

my case number is 2011AF00003xxx