• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 - From Colombo

Rajank

Registered Users (C)
Hello Folks, I am on L1 visa in U.S ( I am not eligible for DV lottery)and my wife is a srilankan citizen and she is currently residing in colombo.

MY CN is 2010AS0002xxx

My wife got selected for DV 2010 lottery
I have couple of queries

a) When my wife is going for CP in colombo, Should I also go in person from U.S to colombo for CP interview ? Or Can i stay in U.S and my wife can attend CP interview in colombo? KCC confirmed I can stay in the U.S while my wife goes to CP interview in colombo

b) I have a 2 yr old kid, USD 775 is also need to paid for all individuals or for all people more than 16 yrs need advice

Need guidance.

Thanks

May 20,2009 Got NL (2010AS00002XXX)
June 01,2009 Letter sent back to KCC
June 04, 2009 UPS Status - Delivered
awaiting 2nd letter for interview

Hello Folks, I am on L1 visa in U.S ( I am not eligible for DV lottery)and my wife is a srilankan citizen and she is currently residing in colombo.

MY CN is 2010AS0002xxx

My wife got selected for DV 2010 lottery
I have couple of queries

a) When my wife is going for CP in colombo, Should I also go in person from U.S to colombo for CP interview ? Or Can i stay in U.S and my wife can attend CP interview in colombo? KCC confirmed I can stay in the U.S while my wife goes to CP interview in colombo

b) I have a 2 yr old kid, USD 775 is also need to paid for all individuals or for all people more than 16 yrs need advice

Need guidance.

Thanks

If you also need the GC as a result of your wife being a dv winner, then you have to attend the interview in Colombo with her. The reason is that you need the visa to be stamped in your passport in Colombo. Mind you, you can't post your passport to your wife to collect the visa for you. Neither can your wife do CP whilst you do AOS. If you don't need the GC, then there is no need to attend the interview.

The visa fee of US $775 is for each individual on the application. Even a day old baby will still have to pay that amount.

Thanks for the update, I checked with KCC they said I need not go to colombo for CP along with my wife.

Any how will keep you posted how things go, looks like mine is a unique case.

Thanks for all the reply folks.

Thanks for the update, I checked with KCC they said I need not go to colombo for CP along with my wife.

Any how will keep you posted how things go, looks like mine is a unique case.

Thanks for all the reply folks.

KCC is correct, you do not have to. My Q s are;

1. Would you like to have Green Card too?
2. was your name included in your wife's original lottery application as the spouse?

If you want the GC, easiest and best way to get it is go to the interview with her. If not you will have to ask a 'lawyer' how to do the 'follow to join' procedure. I think you need to do the paperwork for that before your wife's visa is approved.

1) Yes I am applying for GC as well
2) Yes my name is included in the orginial lottery application

KCC said during interview my wife can give details of my residence in the U.S and then they will pass on the file to closest consular office and I need to take it forward.

Let us see how thing go, other than KCC no one has a clear view about it.

Thanks for your answers folks will keep you all updated.

Thanks

1) Yes I am applying for GC as well
2) Yes my name is included in the orginial lottery application

KCC said during interview my wife can give details of my residence in the U.S and then they will pass on the file to closest consular office and I need to take it forward.

Let us see how thing go, other than KCC no one has a clear view about it.

Thanks for your answers folks will keep you all updated.

Thanks

I think 'follow to join' do not apply in your case, it is for cases other way around.
After your wife's case is approved you just have file i-485 in US choosing category 'b' and giving her approved documents.

Then you pay KCC $375 and ask them to transfer files to the local office.
I understand that your wife's number will most probably be current in Oct '09 and you will have enough time to do AoS, but if you can afford leave for about 2 weeks, CP with your wife would be the most hassle free and straight fwd option !

Good Luck !

I think 'follow to join' do not apply in your case, it is for cases other way around.
After your wife's case is approved you just have file i-485 in US choosing category 'b' and giving her approved documents.

Then you pay KCC $375 and ask them to transfer files to the local office.
I understand that your wife's number will most probably be current in Oct '09 and you will have enough time to do AoS, but if you can afford leave for about 2 weeks, CP with your wife would be the most hassle free and straight fwd option !

Good Luck !

Just curious why do you think AOS would take long time , when I-485 is approved ? Do any one has insights on how long it would take if I apply for AOS when I 485 is approved ?

Appreciate all your replies.

Good Luck to all.

Thanks
Rajan

Just curious why do you think AOS would take long time , when I-485 is approved ? Do any one has insights on how long it would take if I apply for AOS when I 485 is approved ?

Appreciate all your replies.

Good Luck to all.

Thanks
Rajan

When your wife gets the visa, you only get 'qualified' to apply for AoS by filing i-485. You do not get 'automatic' i-485 approval. (nor a visa 'number' will be reserved for you)

Time and the saga of that i-485 'approval' process is what these 'DV AoS forums' are about ! As you can see, the individual experiences spans a whole big spectrum....from smooth sailing to utter heartbreak !!

Last edited by a moderator:
If my CN number becomes current in Oct, can I fix the CP for the month of Dec instead of Oct, any issues? (I get 2 weeks vacation during Dec not during Oct).

Thanks

If my CN number becomes current in Oct, can I fix the CP for the month of Dec instead of Oct, any issues? (I get 2 weeks vacation during Dec not during Oct).

Thanks

KCC will assist you with this, will not be a prob. But you need to tell them your intentions before they schedule your wife's appointment for Oct (that probably will happen with the release of visa bulletin in August) and you will need to file DS-230 with them. Do not schedule your vacation until you know the interview date from KCC. You will have to do your 'medicals' in Colombo before the interview. (ask KCC whether you could do your medicals in US and submit it to KCC to send to Colombo, may be a possibility, dbl chk with embassy too)

Around August, write to the 'immigration div' of Colombo embassy and tell them you need to get the SL Police report for you and your wife. They will arrange that, it will take about 4-6 weeks. They are supposed to do it without asking, but why take chances !

hope this helps.

Another related question, can I do my Medical in U.S and then go to colombo for my CP or it is mandate I should have medical done at the CP location ?

Thanks