Dual Citizenship

gc4201

Registered Users (C)
Is it possible for Canadian to get American Citizenship while keeping the canadian one? Where can I find the regulation on this? Has anyone had this experience?

Thanks!

However, I heard that in the naturalization oath, one will be asked to renounce any allegiance to a foreign sovereignty and has to submit his/her previous (Canadian) passport. Is this true?

I know Canada allows dual citizenships. but for US, it seems to be very vague. Anyone has realy experience? Do you really need to submit your previous passport when you take the naturalization oath? Did you get asked about this question during the interview?

Thanks.

gc4201 said:
However, I heard that in the naturalization oath, one will be asked to renounce any allegiance to a foreign sovereignty and has to submit his/her previous (Canadian) passport. Is this true?

I know Canada allows dual citizenships. but for US, it seems to be very vague. Anyone has realy experience? Do you really need to submit your previous passport when you take the naturalization oath? Did you get asked about this question during the interview?

Thanks.

You will not be asked to submit your passport at oath, the only thing you will be asked to submit will be your green card, current and expired!

I asked the AO during my interview, and she said the US does not recognize dual citizenship, it's really other countries that recognize it. Furthermore, there are situations where you can even travel with multiple passports, one for exit and the other for entry into the foreign country, refer to the state department website on dual citizenship.

A passport remains the property of the issuing government, it would be unusual for any other government to ask you to submit it to them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is interesting that the State Departments on it's website recognizes that some people use multiple passports. The guy failed to mention that the reason some people do this is to avoid paying the fees for the neccessary visa's. He is right about being hassled though, in many LDC's nationals with foreign passports get hassled a lot and where there is a high rate of corruption the are hassled for bribes.

At one point, I had considered that before reading this, You never know when you might need a security clearance for a government job or contract! :)

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney, these are my personal view only, for an immigration question, please contact a reputable immigration attorney.