Driver's License Extension

manojtjain

Registered Users (C)
Hi! All,
I don't know if some one else is in a situation similar to mine. I recently got employed at a company in Pennsylvania. After moving to PA, I got a driver's license. I had F1 Visa stamped on my passport valid till 2008. However, the DMV official gave me a driver's license that expires on 10/02/2006, the last date of my EAD based on my F1-OPT.
I told him that I will receive the H1 approval letter from USCIS sometime in Oct end or Nov. What do I do till then? He was like we cannot issue a driver's license beyond the last date of your valid status.
What do I do to get my driver's license extended? I do not want to drive around without a valid license.
My employer has applied for H1, Advanced Degree quota. The receipt date is 06/28/2006, and the notice date is 06/29/2006. Some people have written that they have received H1 Approval. Is that in form of email or official letter from USCIS??? Once I get it, can I use it to extend my driver's license?
Please reply.
Thanks in advance,
Manoj.

I wonder how they got hold of your OPT date.. Generally they give licence till the visa is valid.. Anyways, you can always go again with your passport and if they ask then show your H1 paper they will extend it...

If your school on the I20 is in a different state, the BMV wants to know why you are in PA and thats when they ask for your EAD and a letter from the Out of state school that you came from. Approval notice from USCIS will not help you in renewing your driver's license. You have to get the official letter.

I was aware of the issues with drivers license. I had my F1 from a Ohio university and I am working on OPT in PA. I showed them my I20 which is until summer '07. Though my OPT ends Oct'07 they took the last date off of my I20.

I am afraid, you have wait till you get the official letter from USCIS.

Thanks for the replies.
For confirming my job in PA, the DMV just needed a letter from my employer that I am currently working in PA. But you are right, they take the date from I-20.
I will receive H1 Extension only by Oct end or Nov, right?
Invalid license between OPT end and H1 letter :confused:

Manoj.

Got my license extended :)

I contacted local Congressman's office, and they contacted PennDOT regarding extension of driver's license. I was told to get all my documents along with a letter from my employer stating the period till when they were intending to hire me. I got a letter from my employer stating that they are hiring me at least till 10/01/2009. I was expecting to get a license till then. However, this time around the official at PennDOT took date from my F1 Visa stamped on my passport and extended till that date, which is in May 2008. There seems to be no fixed procedure. Anyways, at least I have a valid license now, and once I get my H1 approval I can again renew it till the length of H1.

Manoj