Drivers licence on EAD in NJ

bannu123

Registered Users (C)
hello,

i am moving to Nj from Boston. I am on EAD and my H1b got expired.

How to get a drivers licence in NJ on EAD.
What are all the documents required and where can i go to get my licence.

Thanks
Bannu

Originally posted by bannu123
hello,

i am moving to Nj from Boston. I am on EAD and my H1b got expired.

How to get a drivers licence in NJ on EAD.
What are all the documents required and where can i go to get my licence.

Thanks
Bannu
I just got my MD license renewed. They just asked for my old license and got it renewed for 5 years in 10 minutes. It was a breeze.

All you need is a Paystub to prove the change of address, your passport or EAD for proof of ID and you might have to take a written test (not sure)

Nothing to worry

In NJ you have to take a written test, if you already have a license from different state. Sometime they ask for H1B papers which you don't have anymore, so show your EAD. You'll be all set and good to go.

I got my license done...

Just last week. I had a previous license in NJ, that had expired.

Getting a license on EAD was not a problem for me. The only problem is that in NJ, they only give you a license for a year or until your card expires. So, if your card is expiring some time this year, they will only give you the license for until then.

Then, you have to go back to the center 1 month before your license expires, with your new ead card or your green card, to renew it.

Keep the following things in mind:

1. Bring your social security card with you
2. You can only go to one of the regional service center - there are 4 of those in NJ
3. You will have to take the written and eye exams, but no driving exam (for out-of-state transfers)
HTH!

GC_JULY...

I'm not sure when you got your license done last. Post Sept 11, they don't give out licenses for 4 years to non-citizens, unless you have a green card.

I just got mine done last week, in the trenton center.

Here's the link Bannu...

http://www.state.nj.us/mvs/testing.htm

NJ LICENSE -FORGET ABOUT IT

DMV in NJ is worse than the Govt. offices in India..

They are slow, sluggish and not worth going to until u have ur GC.

they will make you run to one of those speical centres (only 4 in whole state) which have full- day lines and you will never be able to get the clearance..haha

it took me a week...and the worst part it they write on your license that your visa status is so & so and will only be valid till ur EAD/H-1 validity..

why go throw the pain?

v

All BS

My license expired and went to the Wayne Regional Centre, no questions asked, submitted the old license, paid $18 and renewed for 4 year.

I think you already had a NJ license..see I did not so when you want a new NJ license (from out of state) then you go through all the red tapism.

Anyway are you H-1 too?? least you could advice what documents to carry to wayne.

lakhs

Nothing to worry as long as you have Valid EAD, don't worry about long lines in DMV, go to a Regional DMV around 8am...Good Luck.