Driver License - Please share your experience

solovei

Registered Users (C)
We have finally got our asylum aproved.

I now want to get a NY drivers licence for my wife.

Question is like that: what's the law? - can she get regular "unrestricted"
drivers license (as I have) or she would have this TEMPERARARY VISITOR line on it? (Assuming she will bring in unrestricted ssc, valid EAD and a major cc to make it 6 points)

Thanks for your input!

She can bring her asylum approval letter, I-94 etc and get her regular "unrestricted" drivers license.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't bring a Work authorization if she doesn't want a restricted DL.To get a regular one,she needs to bring asylum papers(Asylum grant letter+I-94).Go to the DMV located on 34th street and 6th av across the street from Macys,in Manhattan.
Good luck.

cadel is right, sometimes officers in DMV are same suck as I/O, different local offices may give you different treatment. if you fail in one office, try another, but remember not to show your work authorization.

It doesn't matter where you go in NY it will always show Temporary Visitor on the license. Until you get your green card.

actually, I got my driver licsense without words like Temporary Visitor, the funny thing was at the first local DMV, I just showed my approve document and I-94 and bank statements, after asking the supervisor, the staff refused my application because my I-94 is handwriten, which should be printed as she said. I felt so ridicuous, then I changed to another local office at the same day, and got my license without any problems. you know sometimes the government really doesn't know what they are doing.

solovei

do NOT take your RTD or WORK PERMIT to the motor vehicule office, try to get the six points they require with other documents.
Let them know that you need an unrestricted driver license, if they refused, talk with a supervisor..