Driver Licence Not being Renewed

fellowgc

Registered Users (C)
I went today to renew my drivers licence as it is expiring in december. My H1B exprired in March 2001. I am currently in I-485 stage. The inspecter refused to renew my licence. I explained to her that I-485 receipt is all I have to prove that My AOS is pending and I do not have original as that is with my lawyer. She said that they need some letter from INS that states my current status and till what date it is valid so that they may renew licence till that date.

Anyone faced such issues?

pls. post. This is a very serious matter

Fellow

driver's license....

since your h1b has expired the best thing to do is to apply for a EAD cause in about 3 months you can go to a nearest service center and apply for a interim ead(I-688B) and after another month you will received your actual ead(I-765) since the dmv will not accept your I-485 receipt(which i think is not on there guidelines) cause they only accept EAD card, I-551 stamp on passport,etc,etc,...by that time around November(>90 days) you can renew your licence since it will expire on december.....good luck:D

Does this mean that I can get Driver Licence renewed with EAD card? Has anyone gotten licence renewed with EAD card?

Pls. Help

yea.. you could renew your license with ead cause dmv needs at least 2 documents an identification that shows your date of birth and legal presence.....in which the EAD could kill two birds in one stone cause it shows your ID and date of birth and it proves your legal presence....

Well the licence dept that I visited wanted a document from INS that lists a to valid date. I guess EAD would do that trick

Thanks,

Fellow

I just renewed my driver license with my EAD after H1B expired. As a matter of fact my EAD expires in Dec 02 but license was renewed till 2006!!!!!!:confused:

I have a little experience in this matter. My first license expired on the date of expiration of my first H1B. Our company HR was lazy and late in filing the extension. So I (we actually) didnt have any document except the receipt of the extn. 4 of us went to 4 different DMV and 2 of us got license renewed in the first attempt. The other two tried the DMV that I went and got theirs too.

This was 2 yrs ago before all the bad things started happenning here.

My conclusion even today is,
- try different DMV
- ask for a temporary driving permit if they wont give the extension
- EAD card proves status (this is actually written on the material that comes with the card)
- get a note from your lawyer (on his official paper) stating that you are legal and hence be allowed to drive ( i got this then but didnt use it )
- DMV officials know zit; they try their best; so explain your case to them (only some listen)

good luck...

Hi

I am facing the same kind of situation. Please post if you have some info about it. We have moved from VA to Philadelphia PA. We went to the Driver Licence Center to change the license to PA state. They were asking for the same kinda information.. like INS stamped i94..etc. VA is cancelling my license by this month end. They have given me 1 month time to change to PA. But PA Driver Licence Center is not giving me the license. I am working on EAD. I don't have h1 anymore. They don't accept EAD as a status document. They are asking for i94 or GC approved stamping on the passport. Don't know what to do.. Please post a message if you have any idea about how to handle this situation..

Thanks

HI,

I work for DOT,
do this, Talk to DOT driver license supervisor and explain the situation, usually they will understand.

If not, go to local INS in that jurisdiction, and get a letter telling that your EAD genuine and valid for that period.

But later part is more difficult than former one, so try to convince the supervisor.

good luck

Hi thindengpho,

Thanks for the info. I will go and explain the situation to the supervisor and post the feedback.

Thanks much. I appreciate it.

philapa,

This is the first I have heard of any state "cancelling" a drivers license. From my experience, it is a process left in the hands of the driver. If you choose to apply for a new license from a different state then you will have to give in your old license , but no state revokes your license. Offcourse if you haven't received a new license from the state of your current residence and are stopped by a cop, then you will receive a ticket for the same. So I wouldn't be too worried about VA revoking your licence. But as mentioned above, apply for an EAD/iEAD, that should work as a document proving your legal status.

Good luck!

Hi 140_takes_4ever,

I am not kidding. It is true. VA is cancelling my licence. Let me explain you in detail.

If you live in Virginia State and have a car, you have to pay property tax to the VA finance department.

When you register the car in DMV, VA, your Car details goes to the DMV's Central Server. The Finance dept has access to the same server. They take the data from there and send the property tax bill to your address.

When you move out of the state, you must notify DMV (Otherwise you will have to pay property tax even after you move out of VA). The person in DMV VA updates the system about your move, out of VA. The finance dept gets notified with this info.

So DMV knows that you have moved out of VA, & they send you a notice saying that your VA license is cancelled effective on this day(This date is exactly after 1 month of your notification to DMV).

This has happened to me. I have the VA DMV's letter notifying me that the license is cancelled effective Jan ...th '03 12.01 AM.

I hope I have explained you in detail. I am so upset that I am not able to get License in PA. I have tried in 3 Driver License Centers. Everywhere they ask for the same stuffs.

You may read this if you get a chance.

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/licensing_master/identity.shtml
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/misc/Pub_195.pdf

They show this sheet and ask for the docs(Valid i94, Visa, H1 Papers..etc).

Or they ask me to come & get the license after i get my GC approved.:confused:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

do you have address of friend relative in Newyork or NJ . Go there then instead of PA . that might be your option or u might have to register back to VA and wait till your GC comes . Another thing you can do is go to INS office and get the letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
philapa,

I learn something new every day. Din't know the DMV was so efficient in VA. Here in CA, it takes about 2 - 4 months, before we even get our licence card in hand after clearing the test.

Sorry to hear DMV giving you a hard time, but if they are so Anal about the whole thing, you might want to do as Ghost rider suggested, go to the INS office near your house and get a letter saying you are entitled to work and hence are entitled to drive in that state. That might do the trick.

Good luck!

MVD also denied to renew my driver's license too!

My driver's license expires today. The day before yesterday I went to MVD to get it renewed, I brought with me:
1.old h1b status, I-94
2. receipt notice of h1b extension
3. a letter from my lawyer explains my situation
4. INS regulation excerpt states I get 240 days to work lawfully in US before h1b extension is approved
MVD denied the extension. I tried 2 MVD office and talked to the surpervisors, but they still refuse to renew my license, saying only something from INS stating how long I can stay will work. I also applied for 765 and it will be 90 days this Feb. 2. I am wondering whether I could use iEAD to extend my driver's license. Anyone has successful experience recently?

Thanks.

PA license

I got denied license at Bensalem, PA currently I am on 485 application, call the penndot state office in harrisburg and spoke with people from the executive office, they had the person that made the documents requirements contact me and he told me that all DMV center know that they can provide drivers license to ppl that are on 485 as long as you bring the ead, passport, ins receipt and marriage cert to a american person and her/his birth certificate.

I'll be getting my license this Saturday, since this guys will call the manager in advance and order him to issue me a drivers license which the location manager told me that I couldn't get it.

if you have problems i suggest that you contact:

Penndot - Main number in harrisburg, PA and ask to talk to Rebecca Bickly (Drivers License Director) or her secretary.
Also try your country representative in the state, they will help you if you do not vote and you not a american citizen.

I hope this helps

Adrian

Driver License Renewed

I got my driver license renewed after I showed I-140 document original. They gave me a 30-day driving permit then sent the Id to my address.

My application for Non-driver photo ID in New York city denied

this happened yesterday. because i need to visit clients often and nowadays every major building has security check, i went to the local DMV to apply for a non-driver photo ID. according to DMV's website, i brought with me

1. my passport with I-94
2. social security card
3. major credit card

but the officer there, including the supervisor refused to issue the ID for me. their reason is i am on an Advanced Parole status (AP stamp is on my passport). when i asked them if i am on an F-1 or H-1B status, can I get the ID, they said yes. is it absurd to issue a driver's license or non-driver ID to an F-1 or H-1B holder, but not to an H-1B holder who happens to haved filed the I-140 and I-485?

can anyone tell me what i should do to?

thanks

Anyone with document problems call the main office and ask for the director or her secretary, also some guy named Steven Kozar from the Penndot can help you, he is the person that makes the requirements.