domicile!

sunshine10

Registered Users (C)
hi everyone,
i also have a question on what 'domicile' exactly refers to?
my boyfriend was born in the us, has us citizenship, but has lived all his life outside the us. he has dual citizenship, his passport has american address, driver's license and id with american address.
are we going to have any problems with that - as 'domicile' in the us is the first requirement for filing spouse based visa?

thank you in advance!

sunshine10 said:
hi everyone,
i also have a question on what 'domicile' exactly refers to?
my boyfriend was born in the us, has us citizenship, but has lived all his life outside the us. he has dual citizenship, his passport has american address, driver's license and id with american address.
are we going to have any problems with that - as 'domicile' in the us is the first requirement for filing spouse based visa?

thank you in advance!

Hi:

There is no easy answer to this question. Domicile is a fairly complex area of law. You do not provide nearly enough factual information to make a determination.

I suggest consulting with an attorney in your area, who can properly get all the relevant factual information from you to make a determination. He may very well need to take some further actions to establish domicile in the US. As you will learn, citizenship and domicile are very different concepts. Best wishes.

To have the citizenship is to have one of the requirements but he needs to have a domicile (actually living) in the US if he is going to petition for you or at least demostrate that he pretends to go back to live in the US since he is going to petition for you to be a permanent resident. All the information is going to arrive in his address (not outside the US) and yours if you would be through CP. There are many other requirements with the petition that will require his domicile: financial issues, he supposed to be your sponsor and even he does not has a job in the US yet he must found people who are willing to be co-sponsor and filed US taxes and all that within the US.

Remember, it is suppose that you and him will live in the US unless he has been working for the US goverment, military or missionary.

Check the www.uscis.gov website for more information.

Last edited by a moderator: