DOL Predicts Increased Backlogs in Large States

PackMyBags

Just took this off www.immigration-law.com, Breaking News section, dated 01/15/2002:

"At the DOL-AILA Liaison Meeting of 11/30/2001, DOL released that in fiscal year 2001, DOL received over 106,000 new regular permanent labor certifications nationally. In addition, over 235,000 245 (i) labor certifications were received prior to the April 30, 2001 deadline. The 245 (i) cases impacted heavily in New York, New Jersey, Texas, Illinois and California where 65-70% of the 245 (i) cases were filed. In these states, the current processing times do not factor in the 245 (i) cases because the SESAs have not reached these cases yet. In New York current processing for permanent cases is about 5 ½ years with RIR cases taking from 10 to 12 months. In Texas, regular cases are being processed in about 2 ½ years with RIR cases taking about 1 year. In California, regular cases are being processed in about 2 years with RIR cases taking 7 to 8 months. When the states with the most serious backlogs reach the 245 (i) bubble, the processing times will increase greatly. Some smaller states such as Vermont, West Virginia, Illinois, Oklahoma, Iowa, Nebraska, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming and Hawaii have actually passed the 245 (i) bubble and consequently processing in these states will be quicker. Chronic staffing shortages at the SESAs and DOL regional offices will reportedly continue."

No Title

well so when was your labor filed. if it filed before april30 2001 you should be fine.

Hi Rajiv

what can we do about the delays caused by 245i.

lawyers association petition ? employers petition ? lobby the congress and house ?

A simple win-win proposal would be that DOL use sth like premium processing: They would get more money, hire more people, process a lot faster, and everybody is happy.

why wouldn\'t that work ?