Does one need an attorney after layoff?

scorpd

Registered Users (C)
Guys,

I am a new member to this forum. My I-485 has been pending for more than a year now. I got laid off after completing more than 180 days in the company that filed for my 485.

Now the question is does one need an attorney in this case. Is it possible for me to handle it on my own? It has been a straight application so far except for the recent layoff. My present status is that I am still looking for a job. What is the prior attorney's obligation in terms of various correpsondence received by him from USCIS related to my AOS? Is he/she supposed to send it over to me or do I need to ask him for all the relevant documents as he is no longer representing me anymore. Your expert opinion is solicited.

wac02150xxxxx

I am in similar situation. I got laid off before 180 days (2 yrs ago). I do not have any attorney yet as my current co. is not handling my case. I have done my EADs and RFEs myself. (Even inquiry for 485). Although I'm in constant touch with old attorney thru my previous company as they have all original documents.

I don't know whether I need them for approval or any RFE related to 485, but I'm sure they r always ready to pass me docs thru approval of prev co. officer.

So as far as regular stuff is concerned, I suggest you can do yourself but for serious issues better talk to experts.

What give_GC_now says is correct. You need to be in touch with former company, through which you can communicate with old attorney. So he/she is obligated to respond to them rather than to you as he/she was paid by them. In parallel try to check online status twice a month.

I would have to differ with glxy on 2 counts:

1. "he/she is obligated to respond to them rather than to you as he/she was paid by them". Not true. The old company's lawyer is obligated to respond to YOU. The G-28 form filed along with I-485, which authorizes him as the lawyer, has YOUR name on it - so YOU are his client. It doesn't matter who paid for it.

2. Having said that, company lawyers can be really s*&^%ed up, especially in such cases where the beneficiary is no longer an employee. What if he doesn't inform u of an RFE? The online statuses are not always updated in-time.. It is much better to hire another lawyer and file a new G-28. GC is much more valuable than trying to save a few hundred bucks that the new lawyer would cost to take over ur case.

my 2 cents worth. goodluck!

-ab