Does L2 Status Expires when EAD is approved

tasnimd

Hi,
I am on L2 Visa right now. My I-94 is getting expired in June 2005. I am planning to apply for EAD.

1.Does my I-94 status restricts me in applying for EAD?
2. Does Approval of EAD change my L2 visa Status/ Getting EAD and then working changes my L2 status?
3. What are the documents required for filing EAD?
4. If EAD is approved will it be valid till I-94 is valid. Also we are going for renewal of L1/L2 visa in May. So will be getting extension I-94 after renewal. Do we need to apply for renewal for EAD?

Thanks in advance

1. Yes, to a certain extent. Mostly the original notification end date will govern until when the L1 status will be allowed (and as as result your L2)
2. No, it is a benefit of the L2 status
3. Approval notice of L1; proof of marriage; fingerprints & photo taken at local USCIS office. It's very straightforward, and you can do most of it online
4. Probably.
I actually don't see a reason to apply for your EAD now since you are planning to renew your L1/L2 stamps anyway in June. By the time you will be back from your trip you probably are still waiting another few weeks before the EAD card arrives...and then it already has lost its validity. I suggest you get your new stamp, enter the US and then apply for the EAD. Your attorney probably knows more about the typical time line and such.

Regarding Interim EAD

Hi Bob...
Thanks for your prompt reply and guiding me.
Another question... I was just going through the site of USCIS. I found something called Interim EAD. What does that actually mean?

Thanks

As far as I remember: Interim EAD is for students in F1 status that have been waiting for more than 90 days pending a decision for the EAD based on Optional Practical Training (a period of a year granted to students to gain work experience after they finished school.

Hi Bob,
Thanks a lot. One more question.
Is it that the finger print and the photograph that has to be taken at USCIS office only for online application?
If I am sending my documents through post, how to provide the fingerprints?

Thanks

Lost EAD

Hi,

I am a spouse of L1 Visa Holder and i got EAD and i have started working also.

But i lost my EAD Card and have the following questions.

1. Does it effect my eligibility to work in the company in which i am working.

2. My lost EAD was valid till Aug 2009 and i don't have any plans of changing the employement till that time.Do i need to apply for Repleacement EAD or i can directly apply for the renewal before it expires.

3. I am planning to shift my VISA Status to H1B in October 2008 when the quota opens. Do i need to show my EAD at any point of time in this process.

4. In other words do i need EAD card for any legal issues in any case except changing the employement before 2009.I am reluctant to pay another 200$ for replacement card which also takes more then 3 months to get in hand

Note : I do have a xerox of my EAD card.

Thanks in advance,

Shalini