Does having a parent who is US citizen speed up the process

bakin

Hello everyone,

My father became a US citizen after I turned 20. My mother has no GC or US citizenship at the moment. Now I also have GC. Do I still have to fulfil the mandatory 5 years residency or is this period shortened in any way.

Your input is highly appreciated.

bigb

You can apply after 4 yeras and 9 months. If married to US citizen then you can apply on the 3rd anniversary of your marriage (assuming you are green card holder for at least 2 years 9 months on that day)

Nope. Few things that shorten 5yr period are: (1) marriage ; (2) service in US Armed Forces; (3) your or your spouse's specific work for US Government or designated institutions oversees. You can find detailed information in the Guide to Naturalization posted on USCIS web site.

bakin said:
My father became a US citizen after I turned 20. My mother has no GC or US citizenship at the moment. Now I also have GC. Do I still have to fulfil the mandatory 5 years residency or is this period shortened in any way.

Having a parent with US citizenship does not help at all in expediting the naturalization process. And yes, you still have to meet the 5 year residency requirement. You can, however, apply 90 calendar days prior to completion of 5 years.